Author Topic: Absalom Davies Marriage  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Absalom Davies Marriage
« on: Sunday 03 March 19 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the parents of Margaret Davies born 1813 Holywell, Flintshire. Her parents were Absalom Davies born 1781 Llanfair Caereinion, Montgomeryshire & Margaret ? born 1771 Hope, Flintshire. On the 1841 Census they lived in Bangor Caernarvonshire & 1851 Census in Conway Caernarvonshire. Any help or suggestions regarding the marriage of Absalom & Margaret including her surname would be most welcome. As the research covers three different Welsh Counties I wasn't sure which one to put this under.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Absalom Davies Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 March 19 12:41 GMT (UK) »
My guess is that the marriage would have been in Hope as the bride's parish possibly. Absolom moved north and presumably met Margaret in Flintshire, or Caernarfonshire. I have searched for a marriage on Freereg for all counties to no avail.

I noticed that Margaret was 10 years older than Absolom from their ages in the census returns.

Do you have any idea when and where their children were born?

Jo

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 March 19 13:56 GMT (UK) »
There is an 1803 Nantwich marriage of Absalom Davies to Margaret Griffith.She is"of this parish".Absalom is difficult to read but possibly "of Worthenbury"

Roger

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 March 19 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies  :).
Jo I have only found the one daughter of Absalom & Margaret I dare say there were more but they don't show up on the 1841/51 Census just Margaret born 1813 Holywell.
Roger that could be them, but I'm not sure as it's not the right area. I have had a look on Family Search & found the information you mention & believe the place is Wybunbury which is near Nantwich Cheshire.
I really don't know where to look next  :(

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 March 19 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I have found them on the 1851 census in Conwy. Their daughter, Margaret, is shown as a widow, aged 38 and born Holywell. That puts her year of birth as c1813.

The Cheshire Bishops' Transcripts have a baptism for a James Davies, son of Absolom Davies. This is on Ancestry but no further details are shown.

There is a Family Tree on Ancestry for Absolom Davies, the same person as you are enquiring about. It is a Private Member's Tree, so it might be worth asking to see it. It is the Mcbride tree.

Wynbunbury is near Nantwich and isn't that far from the Welsh border. Worthenbury is in Flintshire:

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Worthenbury

I will see if I can find anything else.

Jo.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 March 19 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the info Jo & I will contact the person with the McBride tree as you have suggested. So Roger was probably right about it being Worthenbury, Sorry Roger :-[

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 March 19 11:50 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth considering a marriage in Denbighshire as that is very close to the area around Hope where Margaret says she was born.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Hope

I cannot find a baptism for Margaret bc1813, Holywell. I looked on Freereg. As she was born in Flintshire, I think they would have married there possibly. It is likely they married sometime in the period 1800-1810.

Do you know when and where Absolom and Margaret died? Did he leave a Will? This might give some clues about their family.

I found a burial in Conwy, St Mary and All Saints, for an Absalom Davies, age 77 on 31 December 1857, abode: Berry St, Conwy.

I think possible name variations could be the problem here.

Jo

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 March 19 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Worthenbury rings a bell from about 15 years ago on an old Clwyd list on another site. I'm sure there was a discussion about it being a place where people used to use for 'clandestine' marriages.  I can't find anything about it at the moment though.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 March 19 13:02 GMT (UK) »
The Worthenbury marriage has Margaret's mn as Griffith.

There is a baptism in Hope on 3rd of June 1770 of a Margaret Griffiths . Parents given as William and Margaret.

Gadget

Add - the record has them of Caergwrle
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***