Author Topic: Michael Ryan - Tuam Born 1866  (Read 3208 times)

Offline IAFarmgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Ryan - Tuam Born 1866
« on: Sunday 03 March 19 23:04 GMT (UK) »
For a very long time, I have been looking for my Great-grandfather Michael Christopher Ryan from Ireland. That is basically all I ever knew about him. Recently I have found his age on one of his children's death certificate, and from that I have been able to find out a tad more, like his exact age, and I'm pretty sure I found him coming to America on the ship City of Paris in 1892. The problem is now I am stuck again. Through advice of others, I think I may have been able to match him to a Michael Ryan that was born in Tuam. Is there anyone that can help me find out more about this Michael Ryan? I feel like I'm stuck again, and everything I have tried seems very overwhelming at this point. Any help would be grateful. Thank you.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Ryan - Tuam Born 1866
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 March 19 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat. :)

You write that the information is on the advice of others - where did they get the information from?

Here is a birth for Michael Ryan registered in Tuam in 1866 - the only one that comes up

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03506/2288670.pdf

That site https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ is useful for civil records (after 1864) otherwise you need parish records.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 March 19 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where he lived, where his child died, etc? What is Michael's birth year, based on the child's death? It must have been a minor child, living at home, for the parents' ages to be included, correct?

Who did Michael marry? Is there any hints that they might have been from the same part of Ireland (assuming his wife was Irish).

If you can tell us more of what you already know and where and why, it might be possible to work backward and find him.

Do you have his death record? That and his marriage record are the most likely places to find his parents' names, which will be essential if you want to trace him back to the Irish records.

Failing that, did he have siblings and have you looked for their records?

And there is a very longshot that his children's death records might say something beside "Ireland" for his place of birth. Have you tried them?

I found 4 Michael Ryans arriving in 1892, but none on the City of Paris. Do you have the link to the image, hopefully on familysearch? Or provide the transcription - how old was this Michael Ryan in 1892, etc.

One of the men I found arrived on the City of Berlin, and was 23, or born about 1869:

New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924

Name:   Michael Ryan
Event Type:   Immigration
Event Date:   07 May 1892
Event Place:   Ellis Island, New York City, New York, United States
Nationality:   Ireland, Irish
Departure Port:   Liverpool
Ship Name:   City of Berlin

destination: Illinois

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J6T7-T4W

Offline IAFarmgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 March 19 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Mike lived all over in Wyoming, Utah and possibly Idaho. He worked as a miner most of the time.

He was born in 1866. The child, Willie, died at child birth which is why Mike's name was on the certificate.

My mother knew very little about Mike which is why it is so hard for us to get any info about him. So I'm afraid I don't know of siblings, or anything like that. I don't have a death certificate for him because we don't know when he died or where. Priscilla divorced him after he left. I am working on getting the marriage and divorce information from Wyoming. Other marriage records I've seen don't have the parents listed though.

On the City of Paris record there is a Michael Moloney that looks like he may have been traveling with him. When I looked him up, I was able to find his naturalization papers. His sponsor was a Matthew Ryan. This is another lead I'm trying to look into, hoping Matthew and Michael are somehow related. It does not show what county Michael Ryan is from on the record. Only that the ship left from Liverpool and Queenstown.

This is why I'm trying to find out information about the Michael Ryan that was born in Tuam. I have managed to look up his birth, but anything after that, I'm at a loss as how to find it. His parents were Michael and Honor Nolan.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 March 19 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 March 19 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to ask again - how do you know that your Michael came from Tuam?
What records do you have for him?
Is he in a census?

Here is Honor in 1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Ballinderry/Clooninagh/1400647/

Birth of Thomas Ryan - same parents
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1873/03193/2162005.pdf
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 March 19 22:20 GMT (UK) »

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 March 19 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Is this Willie's death record?

Utah Death Certificates

March 25, 1908
Willie Ryan, died age 1 day, at Coalville, Summit County, Utah
father: Mike Ryan, born in England
mother: Priscilla Reynolds, born in England
informant: the father
buried: Coalville, March 27
cause of death: premature birth

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XZ28-PF8

If so, this is his birth record:

---------
Utah, Birth Certificates, 1903-1914
25 March 1908

Willie Ryan
Coalville, Summit County, Utah
father: Mike Ryan, 42, born in England, a coal miner
mother: Priscilla Reynolds, 26, born in England
both reside in Coalville
fourth child of the mother; she now has two living children

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QL37-BZ5K?from=lynx1UIV8&treeref=LJ11-DFF

Although Ireland was ruled by England in 1866, the records would have said Ireland for the place of birth, I would think.
So better to work backward from what you have in Utah, etc., than work downward from the man in Tuam.
If the ship left from Liverpool and Queenstown,  maybe he got on in Liverpool, not Queenstown.