Author Topic: Patrick Mangan b Ireland 1876  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Oliviahayes92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Mangan b Ireland 1876
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 01 September 19 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hope this works.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 01 September 19 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hope this works.
The personal message symbol below your name has turned green for online so it should be all systems go.
Cowban

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 01 September 19 18:39 BST (UK) »
I've sent you a PM Olivia.

Offline CathP49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 15 January 22 19:04 GMT (UK) »
This is an old thread but I thought I would weigh in.
I had been searching for many years for my Mannion family in Ireland. I knew it was Mannion because it was my maiden name! Recently I got a male Mannion cousin to take a Y DNA test. Guess what - we were originally Mangan from Co. Mayo. I have, since then, found documentary evidence to confirm they were originally known as Mangan when they went from Ireland to Scotland. Later they moved to England where they were recorded as Manning/Mannioun/Man(n)ion and Mangan. Different branches of the family kept different versions of the name.
Two things affected these name changes 1) being illiterate 2) the way a west of Ireland accent would sound to an English or Scottish census taker.
I noticed someone mention that an ancestor signed the marriage certificate but but an X on census (or vice versa). We have a signature on 1911 census for my Great Grandfather. I know he was illiterate. A son/daughter or grandchild must have filled in the form and signed the name. I also have another great grandfather who appears to have signed marriage certificate but earlier records show he was illiterate. Sometimes copies of marriage certificates are rewritten by current registrar so you can't always tell which is an original signature. Sometimes it is a photocopy of original.
When you are searching use all variations of the name. DNA tests are really helpful. Remember people didn't always care about telling the truth on official forms.
The Mannion Clan website from Galway is a useful site and includes some Mangans and other variations of the name.
1901 and 1911 UK census records should show the county in Ireland that people came from. Unfortuanely earlier census just showed from Ireland. 1871 often had the county in Ireland.
Finally - I wonder if Mangan and Mannion sounded almost the same?
Cath

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 16 January 22 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the post on this thread Cath. I think Mangan and Mannion were interchangeable. I've seen the 1921 census for Patrick and he signs as Mannion yet all of his children were registered Mangan throughout the previous 15 years.

He was from Mayo according to the 21 census.

Could you tell me where your family are from please? I have two branches of Mangans on both sides of my daughter's family and they both ended up in Leeds.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 17 January 22 15:42 GMT (UK) »

I've looked at the 1901 census you provided but I think Patrick would be with the family at that time. They married in 1906 and I can find him nowhere in England in 01. So I assumed he came over later.

As a young single man, he may have been living in lodgings in England. His name and age on census may be incorrect.
I couldn't find my granddad from Mayo on a census and assumed he'd returned to Ireland, as he did for a while later. I was wrong. He was exactly where he should have been in England + a brother + a cousin on their mother's side were with him. Our surname was incorrectly transcribed and granddad had done his usual trick of picking an age he felt like. (He took 4 years off his age on 1921 census.) I found them when I was following my GGM's extended family.   
Cowban