Author Topic: Looking for Mary Davies family  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Mary Davies family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
You are correct that all Penmachno births marriages and deaths were registered in Llanrwst although it was in the county of Denbighshire. I think you have something with the second census
"Given we now have 1862 for Mary's possible birth, another possible family have come up on the search in the 1881 Census.They are living at Bryn Tirion Penmachno, that Mary's father William Davies born 1829, mother Elizabeth born 1838, siblings Ellen 1868, William D 1879 & David D 1881."
The Welsh had a tradition of naming the older children after their grandparents. looking at the 1901 census and GRO index the eldest child is Mary Elizabeth (from GRO index) after the maternal Grandmother second child is David possibly after the paternal Grandfather, Jennie after Jane the paternal Grandmother .The youngest is William Davies (again from GRO) after the maternal Grandfather. Strong circumstantial evidence.
No I have no further info on Mary L.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Glyn I very much appreciate the time you have taken to look for information & to explain all you have regarding Welsh families  ;D

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 March 19 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the marriage of Mary Davies to John Jones in 1892, I think there may be an error in the transcription of the page number.

It might be 654 not 651.

Mary Davies appears in the North Wales BMD for 1892, but doesn't include a match with a John Jones.

The other reason for the thinking of the 1891 marriage is that some times, when there are several people of the same name in a village, the person includes the father's first name so that it looks like a middle name. So John David Jones could be John the son of David Jones.

It might be worth contacting the Conwy Register Office to see if there is a Mary linked to John for both years.

David

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 March 19 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I think I have found the marriage - Denbighshire Free Press 20 June 1891

Jones-Davies-June 13th, at Registrars's Office, Llanrwst, Mr John David Jones, Rhosgoch, Cwm, Penmachno, to Miss May (assumed error fot Mary) Davies, Bryntirion, Penmachno.

Mary was at Bryntirion in 1881.

I can't find a Davies family there in 1891, so there may be some records missing.

David

P.S. Found Bryntirion in 1891 - William and Elizabeth Davies and two children.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 March 19 16:36 GMT (UK) »
David what a fantastic find, thank you so much & saved me having to buy the Marriage Cert too, with all the info on where they lived!  ;D