Author Topic: What was on a ship's captain's bookshelf?  (Read 3121 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What was on a ship's captain's bookshelf?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 July 19 02:53 BST (UK) »
Mart -

"until we started worrying about the ferry"

What happens if you miss the ferry?

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 July 19 08:26 BST (UK) »
You are stranded,marooned on a desolate unpopulated island with no food or water,only seagulls mewing their plaintiff cries of “Will he no’ come back again?”
Realistically if there is no room at the inn you night have to spend the night in the stable,mind you some posh people might come bearing gifts,so not all bad.
I am more worried Mart about the state of your attire after the mud incident
Bet you and Mrs.Mart were glad you were not wearing the kilt!
———Or were you?
Viktoria.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 July 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
OK, I give in to the personal messages wanting the video.  Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N6Kuj5AEbs&feature=youtu.be

This is our horrendous, low-quality, bad wind noise, tongue in cheek tribute to Johnson & Boswell who danced a jig on reaching the summit of RASAY.  To view it at its 'best', after following the link, hold down the CTRL key and hit the MINUS key 7 times, to reduce the screen size.  After viewing it, hold down the CTRL key and hit the PLUS key 7 times.  Sorry about the wind noise, but it slightly improves when I turn out of the wind.

If we had missed the ferry, we would have needed overnight accommodation, and we didn't have our credit cards with us, and the car would have been left unattended on Skye all night.

Martin (very tongue in cheek.)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 July 19 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thankyou,well done  Alice, even though not quite at the top.
Very brave to dance on such rugged ground.
Sam J was a big lad, so that jig  of  his and  Boswell’s would have really been something to see.
That is something else I must re read.
Thanks again,by the way I did nothing special to get that,just clicked on your link then “unmute”.
I surprise myself sometimes ::)
Viktoria.
P.S are you sure that is you commentating? I imagined a deep,sonorous voice,rather like James Robertson Justice had. V.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 July 19 14:57 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, I was a bit breathless, perhaps that accounted for my unexpectedly high voice. I think it is normally deeper than that. It certainly shows how much digital cameras have come on in the last 12 years. The current one I have, which cost £218 2 years ago, produces television quality high-definition. This is a good example of how memory can play tricks on you even after just a few years. I was sure I had carefully propped the camera on a nearby rock, and done a dos-i-do type jig with Alice.  Skye was a wonderful place for a holiday. Even in summer they say you can get four different seasons in one day and although we never saw snow we saw everything from Mediterranean sunshine to hail on the same day.

Martin

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 July 19 15:04 BST (UK) »
.... So you don't think that your ship's captain would have had a cassette tape of that on his bookshelf?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 July 19 15:29 BST (UK) »
I doubt he even had a 78rpm talking book.

Martin

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 July 19 15:56 BST (UK) »
My late cousin Malcolm was a ship's captain and sailed all over the world.  Like others with our family surname of M'kenzie, he wrote poetry and I imagine his shelves would have accommodated verse written by others.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 July 19 20:05 BST (UK) »
My paternal great grandfather was a sea captain (along with several other family members)and spent many years at sea. I have his diary from his first time at sea. He referenced writing, doodling, reading poetry and learning about the stars and astronomy. My grandmother and her 3 siblings also spent several years at sea. My great grandfather taught them mathematics and history (so I assume he must have had books or materials about those subjects) while my great grandmother taught my grandmother and one of her sisters how to play a piano while at sea.

ynman 
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen