Author Topic: What was on a ship's captain's bookshelf?  (Read 3118 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What was on a ship's captain's bookshelf?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 21 July 19 16:10 BST (UK) »
I've a belief I play the piano as if I was at sea - in a heavy storm!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 21 July 19 16:46 BST (UK) »
Yn9man, do you have any plans to make the diary public? I would love to read it.

Martin

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 21 July 19 20:46 BST (UK) »
Martin, my mum's ancestor Bartholomew Higgins was a ship's captain and a very good one judging by the accounts we have read in newspapers. One of his vessels sunk when leaving Liverpool but he managed to save all the passengers and crew, another time he saved his ship and its valuable cargo from burning by quick action and he received an engraved gold watch. Sadly we don't have that watch but we do have a couple of other items that we belive belonged to him, a pipe and a small snuff box. My great-grand mother left them to my mum when she died. We don't have any books though. Do you have anything that belonged to your ancestor?

Thanks for that link to the book, I haven't seen that before. Should be interesting reading. My great-grandmother did watch The Onedin Line in the 1970s when she was in her 90s (which was mentioned on your other posting) but I was too young to realise the significance and ask questions. Her father was also a mariner but couldn't read or write so presumably that would have precluded him from being a captain.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 21 July 19 22:36 BST (UK) »
The only thing we have is a large portrait, of him, probably painted in the Far East. He looks a very imposing character, and I was very disillusioned when I found from his captains documents on the internet that he was under 5 feet 6 inches.

Martin

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 July 19 13:30 BST (UK) »
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 22 July 19 13:32 BST (UK) »
I love the full title, "A journey over land to India, partly by a route never gone before by any European"!  EasyJet?  RyanAir?

Martin

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 20:00 BST (UK) »
Mart 'n' Al -

I am attempting to transcribe the diary now. Find myself reading and re reading the pages and not doing much transcription. I am also attempting to transcribe cassette tapes of my grandmother and her aunt growing up on board ship.

Great topic for those of us with mariners in the weeds and trees.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 20:07 BST (UK) »
It sounds a wonderful and worthy project.

Martin

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 30 December 19 10:04 GMT (UK) »
For Christmas I was given this book, which was regularly updated throughout the 1800s. It is a sort of Bible for for sea going people.

THE SHIPMASTER'S ASSISTANT AND OWNER'S MANUAL: containing complete information, as well to merchants, masters of ships, and persons employed in the merchant service, as to officers and others in the Royal Navy, relative to the mercantile and maritime laws and customs. the ninth edition, very considerably improved and enlarged.

Martin