Author Topic: Which Building is this please?  (Read 11090 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Building is this please?
« Reply #99 on: Saturday 09 March 19 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Built 1910, college for German naval officers. Housed Grand Admiral Doenitz as successor to Hitler for 20 days in 1945.

I suspect, then, that this photo was taken during or very shortly after completion.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 09 March 19 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that interesting piece of information Regorian (always type Gregorian and have to alter it)  ;D I did wonder whether it may have been used as a POW camp during the war.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Saturday 09 March 19 17:14 GMT (UK) »
That's so good to hear Jool . Understandable, with him being so adorable !

Who Malky...or the dog  :P ;D ;D
Carol

The dog  ;D ;D. I'll leave Mrs Malky to sort out Malky .

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday 09 March 19 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Following up on the posts earlier from Regorian and JenB…...

According to this website http://enacademic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/4572270
Marineschule Mürwik was "Established at this site by Kaiser Wilhelm II in 1910, the academy occupies some of the original red brick buildings built between 1907 and 1910."

I wonder if these original early buildings had another purpose before Kaiser Wilhelm II established the academy there in 1910.

The earliest Naval record I can see for Rupert G W Ord on the Marineschule Mürwik archive is 1908, I wonder if that was when the photo was taken.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Saturday 09 March 19 23:42 GMT (UK) »
That's an interesting link Jool....I estimated that the photo might have been taken around the time of WW1 but the building in the photo does look as thought it was still being established doesn't it. It does beg the question as to why the photo was with Rupert's possessions.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 10 March 19 00:15 GMT (UK) »
It does beg the question as to why the photo was with Rupert's possessions.
Carol

I think Marineschule Mürwik may have the answer to that in their records.  I take it you have not yet heard from the tree owner you contacted.  I'm sure the archivists there would offer some information in return for a copy of the photograph.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 10 March 19 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify, the wife snores like a squad of troopers, and has fluffy legs.

Malky

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 10 March 19 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Probably equivalent to Royal Naval College Dartmouth. No reason a British officer was not there between the Wars. Website shows NATO naval personnel there now. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Sunday 10 March 19 09:40 GMT (UK) »
It does beg the question as to why the photo was with Rupert's possessions.
Carol

I think Marineschule Mürwik may have the answer to that in their records.  I take it you have not yet heard from the tree owner you contacted.  I'm sure the archivists there would offer some information in return for a copy of the photograph.

I have heard from the first contact who has a lot of info relating to the Ord family on his tree including Rupert's Naval records but whilst he was grateful for the contact, the relationship is too distant for it to be of any interest.
The second contact who had a private tree and is a first cousin twice removed to Doris, has responded and was grateful for what I sent but has shown little interest in the other items I have mentioned.
There are drawings to Doris from Rupert, snapshots dated around the 1940s, a family tree going back to the 1600s and quite a few letters including "The last letters from Ralph" in Sept. 1916 before he was killed in France. There are also three locks of hair (shudder) and other small items of interest.
I intend to contact the naval school to send a copy of the photo.

Carol