Author Topic: 60th Rifles  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 60th Rifles
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 March 19 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Oh that’s a shame for the 43rd but hopefully might still find a lot on info via the 60th for my ancestor it was a bit of a gold mine and has where he was from 1820 until November 1840 I was sent photos and notes like this

WO12/6957 (April 1836-March 1837) shows that the 60th 2nd battalion depot company was based at Clare Castle Jersey for the entire year and Sergeant Joseph Wade was listed each quarter.

His first listing he was with the 1st which was in 1820.

So perhaps worth a shot for those ancestors that served in the  60th.

Blessings
Deb

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 March 19 10:58 GMT (UK) »
The 43rd Regiment does feature in the muster rolls extracts.

In 1841 there are Privates William Clarke (390) and William Clarke (1226) in Canada.
In 1851 there are Privates William Clarke (1226), William Clarke (2065) and William Clarke (2413) in Dublin.

But no NCO's named William Clarke.

There is only one William Clarke on the Indian Mutiny medal list for the 43rd. That is Private Clarke 1226.

This is why I say "I have a feeling that Colour Sergeant William Henry Clarke of the 43rd Regiment might be wholly or partly an invention" !
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 March 19 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Happy (not really, embarrassed!) to be corrected, pretty poor searching for muster rolls in the NA Catalogue, must do better.  Dilemma though is knowing which one(s) to start a researcher on.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 March 19 13:34 GMT (UK) »
My father Sydney William John Clarke, told me that he went to live with his grandmother Theresa Mary in Uxbridge after his mother dies , he named my sister Theresa after her.

Can't be right. He was born in 1917. His grandmother Theresa died in 1894.

Offline canman41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 March 19 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ,

That was the point I was trying to make, you cannot rely on family members recollections or stories ....not possible for my father to have lived with his long dead grandmother, but that was his story.... can only rely on the facts ..... I had Mary Theresa Clarke who died in Fulham 1937.....completely the wrong person not my family member, her husband was a soldier, William Henry Clarke (1844-1908)

Thanks for putting me right.... I need to start again and scrap most of the information I thought I had

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 16:33 GMT (UK) »
My GGgrandfather Timothy Connel From Bandon Co Cork was in the the 60th Rifles for 25 years .From 1820 till 1845.He came out in 1845 in Paisley Scotland where the family settled.I have his records.Found them on Ancestry.
Had a son born Portsmouth 1828.Daughter born co claire 1830 and another ireland 1833.Hard to keep track of where they were as they moved about so much in them days.

Marguerite

Offline canman41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 17 March 19 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ,

I have searched for : 

"The second marriage:

William Henry John Clarke, widower aged 42, Colour Sergeant in the army, father William Henry John Clarke, Colour Sergeant 43rd Regiment,  married Lizzie Patey, 21, spinster, father George Patey, a brewer's labourer. At St John, Northfields. Ealing on 22 December 1896. "

Could you tell me where you got the above information from ?

I am sure your right about a second marriage after Theresa Mary Clarke died in 1894 ....as you said on the 1901 Census it shows an Elizabeth Clarke, as his wife and the 2 children from first marriage Ethel and Bertram and another child Albert Henry, from the second marriage. James Jasper Clarke died 1893 and William Henry Clarke would have been 17 and left home.
By 1911 Census now living at 2 Woodfield Gardens, Woodfield Road, Harrow Road, Paddington W,  with 6 children from second marriage and neither of the children from the first marriage would have been

Thank you for your help.... I need it....

As for the Humphries / Allsop  side....I am still working on that...with little progress
Theresa Mary Humphries Born 1860/1  in Dover Kent, married William Henry Clarke and had 3 children died 1894 age 33

I found the Caroline & James Silwood marriage 1868 and 1871 Census ....thanks again

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 17 March 19 23:14 GMT (UK) »
You can view that 1896 marriage register page on Ancestry: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1623/31280_198293-00318/7225887

Offline canman41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 18 March 19 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again....