Author Topic: Magee Family of migrants to NSW  (Read 8508 times)

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Magee Family of migrants to NSW
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry. I should have provided more inf.  The names on the right were recorded by the surviving NOK as the parents.  Michael was John's father, but his mother's name was not given. This is from the NSW Index on BDM, found online at https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/

Name              Registration Number Father's Given Name(s) Mother's Given Name(s) District
FLATLEY JOHN 12830/1916             MICHAEL                                                         LISMORE

Offline annemareeinerko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I see now. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 January 23 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Anne Maree
An excellent source of info on the descendants of John Flatley can be found at https://www.newitaly.org.au/the-families/flately-john/
Where do you fit in?
Kevin

Offline annemareeinerko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 January 23 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Kevin

Thanks for the link. I have not looked at this side of the family for ages! Sarah Ann Flatley was my great-grandmother. Her daughter Ethel Mellare (child number 5) was my grandmother. If you click on Ethel Mellare's children, my mother is Esme but you cannot find our names on there, LOL. Sadly, all my mother's brothers have died. How do you fit into the picture?

Offline annemareeinerko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 January 23 08:20 GMT (UK) »
"Our names" meant my sister and me, Esme had two children.

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 January 23 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne Maree

We are connected by the marriage of a Farrell to a Mellare.  My father was Kevin John Farrell (1918-1989) and his older sister, Lorna May Farrell (1915-1999) married a son of John Mellare (1868-1956) and Sarah Ann nee Flatley (1872-1955), (Lawrence) Bernard Mellare (1909-1949) in Lismore in 1936.

Kind regards

Kevin

Offline annemareeinerko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 January 23 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Kevin

I had to read that a few times, haha! I found your work on Geni and can see the connection there. Colossal job, it must have taken ages to source information about the extended family.

Most recently I focused on the maternal family of my grandfather, Thomas Waters (who married Ethel Mellare), which I traced back to Ireland's west coast, in Whitegate. His paternal side is connected to the Famine Orphans who came to Sydney under the Earl Grey Scheme.

I am glad you covered this side of the family. Any genealogy tips? Those old handwritten Church records are impossible to read!

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 January 23 06:16 GMT (UK) »
Family history is my hobby and I have been at it for decades, and more so since I retired some 10 Yrs ago.

The pages of the old Irish RC Priests' books have been indexed but access may not be free.  I suggest you try https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/ and/or Ancestry.com. The latter can be accessed for free at a public library (at least in QLD), some of which have a visiting volunteer genealogist who may be able to help as well.

I can't find much about Thomas E. Waters other than his wedding to Ethel Mellare in Lismore in 2022.  Do you have any details of his birth, death and parents.  An index of famine orphans has
one person with the Waters surname, viz. Ann Waters, from Sligo, age 14, RC, arrived on "Lady Kennaway", Melbourne, 1848 (https://irishfaminememorial.org/orphans/database/).  Is this the connection you mentioned?

Offline annemareeinerko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 06 January 23 06:56 GMT (UK) »
I tried to attach a photo from a book another family member wrote about the Waters' name but the file is too large here. Thomas E. Waters was born in 1903. His parents were Henry John Waters and Mary Anne Walsh. I cannot remember what year he died, I could ask my mother but she is having trouble remembering. My grandfather's line is traced back to the Weeks and Slattery family. Mary Slattery is in the famine orphan database:

https://irishfaminememorial.org/details-page/?pdb=8493

It was only recently someone added her parents' names.

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/kilkenny-famine-experience-2017

Such sad stuff  :(

I am pretty sure someone from the extended family (Garrard) did the research and he traced the Waters family back to the mid-1700s. Bummer that the picture of the family tree is too large.

I traced the ancestry of Mary Anne Walsh to the Collins family in Whitegate, Co. Galway/Clare.

Thanks for the information. I still work full-time and occasionally check the RC parish records, when I have time. The writing is a nightmare and some of the pages are very faint. I suppose it is practice reading them.