Author Topic: Edwin Reuben CARPENTER of Ballarat Did he rob a bank?  (Read 6738 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Reuben CARPENTER of Ballarat Did he rob a bank?
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for trying  JM, but this fellow is too old  " my" Edwin R CARPENTER was b  c1827, Jay Essex Co NY.  His father Cyrus and his 3 sisters lived in Brockport, Monroe Co  NY  Plus a brother allegedly named Darwin , b1823  Jay Essex Co.  Other family lived in Guilford  VT   Alas the good citizens of Jay werent into keeping  Vital records till some time later   
Edwins sort of stepmother , Jane,  came from Oswego  area
Family history can have tangled web ..............

Emily,  I do not know where I made ANY mention of that chap's age.   Please read my post carefully.   I particularly noted '64' ... it is the post office address,  it is NOT his age.

I may be way off track, but …. Just in case this is Edwin Reuben CARPENTER of Emilypos’ quest:

US Directories, 1869, Oswego, New York.
Town of Mexico, population of over 4000
‘Below are the names of the town officers, and a complete list of the farmers and property owners, with the post office address of each
John C TAYLOR, Supervisor, Mexico
H.M. BARD, Town Clerk, Mexico
……………………………..  (several columns of names in alphabetical order by surname with a number and then the township …. Mexico or Colosse or Texas or Union Square)
……
Edwin R CARPENTER, 64 Mexico
……
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico,_New_York

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 05:11 GMT (UK) »
A few online attempts have been made to supply a clear and definite death date for Edwin Reuben CARPENTER.
There is discussion of his second marriage too.

I have not located certification of either event, so inconclusive.

One of the two news snips June 1882 I have provided previously and here link again, states clearly deceased

Perhaps the statement deceased was a presumption due to absence and lack of contact.
I do not know enough of the estate laws of the time to suggest this.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/52058864

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/170212821

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 05:12 GMT (UK) »
I bought copy of these 2 legal files from QSA a few days ago. Was this info that he'd spent 500 pounds
 on land in Rockhampton that set me off on the hunt again.   If an inheritance was involved 99% sure it wouldnt have been from his family in America  . His  grandma died before he was born and grandfather in 1840. Got copy of his will  some time ago.  His father d in 1872 Will check out his wives family

Bye
Emilypos

How did you go with that will .... or when checking out his wife's family .... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Excellent point Sue.

He may have died in the US, or en route back to his wife or to Qld ....  his son had the Deeds !  :D to the land for those cottages...

If Qld were following the then NSW laws (and perhaps that is likely, it was only hived off in 1859) then they needed to have proof of the death or commence proceedings to have him declared dead under the seven year rule (in order to transfer the deeds to the new name)  That would involve action in the Qld Supreme Court - Probate division, with or without a valid will.   Without would mean that inheritance laws would stand ... So, from my understanding ... if Edwin was a widower, then the eldest living Son of his valid marriage would  inherit all - real estate and personal estate. ADD, assuming INTESTATE... 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Some further thoughts ...

Queensland BDM has a death in 1863 for Edith Janet CARPENTER, parents as Edwin CARPENTER and Margaret LESLIE. #C412, - is this indicating that she was there with her Dad, but not her mum … How old would she have been in 1863 …  well, likely she was born in Qld, and so too another sister…
Qld BDM has two births of interest:
1861, Edith Janet, father as Edwin Ruthen CARPENTER and mother as Margaret LESLIE #C805
1863, Helena Anne, father as Edwin CARPENTER and mother as Margaret LESLIE #C1050 

So possibly that £500 was from Edwin and Margaret’s trading endeavours in Queensland rather than from Victoria … afterall,  :)  ;) Margaret definitely needed to be present for those girls births to happen in Queensland...

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 06:41 GMT (UK) »
1867 Electoral Roll
Edward CARPENTER, Rockhampton, a Freeholder

1868 Electoral Roll
Edward CARPENTER, Rockhampton, a Freeholder

I note that it is likely the Qld electoral rolls were compiled along similar principles to NSW ones... if so, then it was by the local police, asking verbal questions and writing them down for later onforwarding to printers...  Edward Carpenter as noted above may have been someone completely unrelated to Edwin or he may be Edwin mis-heard by the recorder...   but 1867 and 1868 and not 1869 ....  ::)

JM

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Melbourne Directory, 1854
CARPENTER, Edwin, Boarding House, 57 Little Bourke street, west.

1866 Sands, Melbourne Directory
CARPENTER, Edwin, Cardigan-street, Carl.

1867 Sands, Melbourne Directory

1868 Sands, Melbourne Directory

1869 Sands, Melbourne Directory
Cardigan street, east side.
Earnbank Terrace (appears to be a block of terrace houses on corner of Waterloo and Cardigan street east.
No 7
CARPENTER, Edwin plus six other persons.

1870 Sands, Melbourne Directory
Cardigan street, east side.
Earnbank Terrace (appears to be a block of terrace houses on corner of Waterloo and Cardigan street east.
No 7
CARPENTER, Edwin plus six other persons.

Gerry

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for trying  JM, but this fellow is too old  " my" Edwin R CARPENTER was b  c1827, Jay Essex Co NY.  His father Cyrus and his 2 sisters lived in Brockport, Monroe Co  NY  Plus a brother allegedly named Darwin , b1823  Jay Essex Co.  Other family lived in Guilford  VT   Alas the good citizens of Jay werent into keeping  Vital records till some time later   

My apologies  JM for misreading your info on an Edwin CARPENTER living in Mexico, Oswaygo NY. Checked in US 1870 census and there was an Edwin CARPENTER, farmer b NY 1826  plus wife Lousia and son Horatio 21 .CARPENTERs a common surname and are also lots of Edwins  Cant be
gg gfather

Emilypos

Emily,  I do not know where I made ANY mention of that chap's age.   Please read my post carefully.   I particularly noted '64' ... it is the post office address,  it is NOT his age.

I may be way off track, but …. Just in case this is Edwin Reuben CARPENTER of Emilypos’ quest:

‘Below are the names of the town officers, and a complete list of the farmers and property owners, with the post office address of each
……………………………..  (several columns of names in alphabetical order by surname with a number and then the township …. Mexico or Colosse or Texas or Union Square)
……
……

JM

Thanks for trying  JM, but this fellow is too old  " my" Edwin R CARPENTER was b  c1827, Jay Essex Co NY.  His father Cyrus and his 3 sisters lived in Brockport, Monroe Co  NY  Plus a brother allegedly named Darwin , b1823  Jay Essex Co.  Other family lived in Guilford  VT   Alas the good citizens of Jay werent into keeping  Vital records till some time later   

……
……

JM

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sands Melbourne Directory 1875
CARPENTER, Margaret, grocer, 26 Elgin-street, Carl.

Gerry

Added:  This was on the corner of Elgin and Cardigan Street east side.