Author Topic: scottish ancestor (Mark Adams) b.1816?  (Read 4313 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: scottish ancestor (Mark Adams) b.1816?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 21:59 GMT (UK) »
The Glasgow reference for Mark came up here

I checked Cheshire OPC for James and gives a different occupation for his father
Father occ Writer, Residence Nantwich
Additional info. Nant. Union Workhouse: From Glasgow
here's the link so you can check details http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AlmaB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 March 19 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Monica, I've just found the entry from Cheshire Parish records stating that Mark was from Glasgow. I didn't know that this was available and I know now that Mark Adams probably came from Glasgow

Offline Lookedin2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 17 November 19 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have also just found out that my ancestors came from Nantwich Union Workhouse namely  James and Charles Adams born 1844. In later years they moved to Yorkshire and changed there surname but I can't find out why this came about. James Adams married Mary Strange she had 2 children prior to this marriage. It was after the birth of Mary E Adams that they moved to Yorkshire and the name change came into play.

Offline AlmaB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 17 November 19 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have also just found out that my ancestors came from Nantwich Union Workhouse namely  James and Charles Adams born 1844. In later years they moved to Yorkshire and changed there surname but I can't find out why this came about. James Adams married Mary Strange she had 2 children prior to this marriage. It was after the birth of Mary E Adams that they moved to Yorkshire and the name change came into play.

In 1871 the family of James Adams, my Great Grandfather, were living in York and were still called Adams, but in 1874 he appeared before Salford Magistrates and was sent to prison for six months petty for larceny and had now changed his name to James Bell. In 1876 I found the family living in Manchester and three of the younger children were baptised at St.Matthews, Manchester. Interestingly, the name Adams was included in their names. John William Adam Bell, Thomas Adam Bell, and my Grandfather Robert Bell. In 1881 they all lived in Hull, and by 1891 they had moved to Darlington. By 1901 James had left Darlington and was living with another partner, I think either years due to Mary his wife's illness or perhaps Death, but he later returned to Darlington. This Family has been a mystery to me for a long time but I'm gradually unravelling the story. I believe that James had previous convictions so perhaps they were hoping to make a new start with a new name and new address. I've tried several times to find James Father's Birth in Scotland but no luck s far.

Offline AlmaB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 November 19 11:56 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though your Ancestor John William, was the Brother of my Grandad, Robert Bell who was born in Manchester. My Dad was the eldest son of Robert Bell. Several years ago about 2013, I received EMails from Graham Bell who I think was related to John William. He sent me a copy of John Williams, marriage cert. to Janet Cameron.