Author Topic: scottish ancestor (Mark Adams) b.1816?  (Read 4331 times)

Offline AlmaB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
scottish ancestor (Mark Adams) b.1816?
« on: Monday 11 March 19 16:15 GMT (UK) »
has anyone any ideas how I can trace where my Scottish Great Great Grandfather was born?
I found him first of all in 1841 in the England census stating Scotland as his Birthplace. He later married in England and some of his children were born in the Chester area. However one of the later children, William Adams was born in Scotland about 1845/46, again no area is mentioned and I haven't been able to trace his Birth. His Mother was Elizabeth or Eliza, any help would be appreciated.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: scottish ancestor (Mark Adams) b.1816?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 19 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Does his English marriage certificate give the name and occupation of his father? And what was his own occupation?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 19 17:18 GMT (UK) »
It would be very helpful if you could give us his approximate date of birth; also was he catholic or church of Scotland. There are over 100 hundred births showing for this name in the old parish  registers so it would be very helpful to try to narrow it down.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 19 17:37 GMT (UK) »
It would be very helpful if you could give us his approximate date of birth; also was he catholic or church of Scotland. There are over 100 hundred births showing for this name in the old parish  registers so it would be very helpful to try to narrow it down.
Title line says b 1816.

the 1851 census which I assume is the one in question lists in Hereford Mark Adams, 36, tailor, born Scotland; wife Elizabeth, 40, born Hereford; children Martha, 14, born Hereford; son James, 8, born Nantwich; son William, 5, born Scotland; son John, 8 months, born Hereford.

I have not found the births of either James in Nantwich or John in Hereford. Martha being 14, she must have been born between about April 1836 and March 1837, that is, before the start of civil registration. In the absence of these, or of any record of William's baptism in Scotland, I cannot be sure what Elizabeth's surname was, so I cannot pinpoint the marriage.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AlmaB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 March 19 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Does his English marriage certificate give the name and occupation of his father? And what was his own occupation?
Sorry, I just assumed they'd married but haven't found a marriage cet. On the 1841 census if you turn the page you will find Eliza Higgins and her daughter Martha. This seems to be Mark's partner. In 1844  I have the birth cert. of his twin sons, James and Charles born in Nantwich workhouse. Mark;s occupation was a writer and his wife was Elizabeth. In 1861 Mark's occupation was a Tailor and the same in the 1871 census. That's all the info. that I have.

Offline AlmaB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 March 19 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I just assumed they'd married but haven't found a marriage cet. On the 1841 census if you turn the page you will find Eliza Higgins and her daughter Martha. This seems to be Mark's partner. In 1844  I have the birth cert. of his twin sons, James and Charles born in Nantwich workhouse. Mark;s occupation was a writer and his wife was Elizabeth. In 1861 Mark's occupation was a Tailor and the same in the 1871 census. That's all the info. that I have.
Title line says b 1816.

the 1851 census which I assume is the one in question lists in Hereford Mark Adams, 36, tailor, born Scotland; wife Elizabeth, 40, born Hereford; children Martha, 14, born Hereford; son James, 8, born Nantwich; son William, 5, born Scotland; son John, 8 months, born Hereford.

I have not found the births of either James in Nantwich or John in Hereford. Martha being 14, she must have been born between about April 1836 and March 1837, that is, before the start of civil registration. In the absence of these, or of any record of William's baptism in Scotland, I cannot be sure what Elizabeth's surname was, so I cannot pinpoint the marriage.

Offline AlmaB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Title line says b 1816.

Title line says b 1816.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Alma, this looks to be James' birth details from what has been mentioned:

James Adams
Nantwich   
Vol 19 pg 156
3rd Qrt 1844

Added: Corresponding details for birth of twin Charles.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AlmaB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone that replied to my post. I haven't posted on here for a good while and don't think I've done very well this time. I thought I'd try and make things a little clearer.  I have all the English census's for Mark from 1841 to 1871. I haven't a birth cert. or a marriage cert. for him and the only info. regarding his Birth is Scotland in every census. His son William was also born in Scotland but I haven't a birth cert. for him. It looks as though he was born about 1843 as his age on the 1871 census was given as 28. I can't access Scottish Birth records so I'm unable to get any more information. I sounds as though it will be very difficult to find wither Mark or William.