Author Topic: Emma Bloxham 1862 - 1924  (Read 987 times)

Offline jtobred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emma Bloxham 1862 - 1924
« on: Tuesday 12 March 19 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am currently researching one of my ancestors Emma Bloxham.
Emma was born in Stowe, Buckinghamshire in 1862. In 1881 she is listed as a school mistress in Easton Maudit. How would she have gone about qualifying/getting this job?
Later in her life in 1911, Emma (Now Mrs Southam) is the head mistress at a Church of England school in Wootton Underwood. Would there be any records of said school that I could access? I don’t live terribly far away from the village. I’ve searched but it doesn’t seem there is a school in the village now though.
Any information or help would be greatly appreciated, I’m curious to know more about Emma’s story and journey to head mistress!   

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Bloxham 1862 - 1924
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 20:28 GMT (UK) »
The Bucks Herald, 5 July 1884, reported that Miss Bloxham, Easton Maudit, Northampton,was succeeding Miss Custerson as head of Westcott School.

There is an Ann Custerson, "... governess Church of England ..." on the 1881 Census at Westcott. An 1880 newspaper article about Westcott School Treat refers to "Miss Custerson, the governess".

An Emma Bloxham, Stowe" was mentioned in the Oxford Times in 1876 and 1877 when it reported the annual results of "The Annual Examination of Pupil Teachers in Religous Knowledge".

On the 1881 Census Emma Bloxham gives her place of birth as Stowe.

Offline jtobred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Excellent, thank you so much!

Offline jtobred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 20:53 GMT (UK) »
‘The Annual Examination of Pupil Teachers in Religous Knowledge’

Emma would have only been 14/15 in 1876, would that mean she excelled academically or was particularly focusing on becoming a teacher?

It seems strange to me as her family before her weren’t necessarily highly educated...

Offline Greenlight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 March 19 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is a log book for Wotton Underwood school at the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies for the years 1895-1926 ref E/246/LB/2. These vary in detail but the teachers should be referenced. There are also Ministry of Education records for the school for the years 1872-1910 at the National Archives    ref ED 21/1457 which may reference her too.
The National Archives don't hold 19th century records for Easton Maudit school but the Northants record office hold a log book for the school from 1872-1903.