Author Topic: St. John Ambulance Association emblems on necklace chain.  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. John Ambulance Association emblems on necklace chain.
« on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Whilst clearing out my late father's house recently, I came across something of interest. A necklace that once belonged to my grandmother features a locket (containing small portrait photos of my dad and uncle) and a set of attached St. John Ambulance Association items - a standard medallion, with a cross of St. John(?) and two small 'bars' (for lack of a better description), one bearing the date 1912 and the other 1940. On the reverse of the medallion is the inscription, 119356 Harry Smith. On the reverse of both bars is just the number. I have been researching my family for some years now and have never come across the name of Harry Smith. However, he must presumably have held some significance for my grandmother. She spent most of her life in the Leigh area of Lancashire and died in 1995 aged 91. I gather, after looking on the internet, that any research inquiries related to the St. John Ambulance Association have to be directed to the relevant local area branch. Does anybody know how I find out who to contact in the lancashire area? I am intrigued  and would like to find out a bit more about Harry Smith.

Regards

Doddie

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. John Ambulance Association emblems on necklace chain.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Family History Research

The Museum of the Order of St John holds significant, but not exhaustive, records relating to members of St John Ambulance and of the Order of St John.

If you are conducting family history research and are making an enquiry concerning a relative’s membership of the Order of St John, or of St John Ambulance, please note that the Museum does request a donation of £10 to carry out such research, and such research may not always provide further information.

Order membership will be confirmed through the Honour Rolls, which list all Order members at regular points since the Most Venerable Order’s official foundation in 1888. In order for us to carry out an effective search, please provide as much information as possible on the member for whom you are searching including full name, birth and death dates, place of birth and address if possible. Please note that Order citations remain confidential documents and we are unable therefore, to provide copies or direct transcripts.

If your search concerns St John Ambulance membership, the Museum only holds local records for London and Kent. If other county and regional records exist, they will be held locally.

Contact details

The Museum of the Order of St John
St John’s Gate, St John’s Lane
Clerkenwell
London, EC1M 4DA

020 7324 4005
museum[-- at --]sja.org.uk

Monday – Friday, 10am – 5pm
Saturday, 10am – 5pm

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 March 19 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Girl Guide, I will contact the museum and see what information they can give me.

Regards

Doddie

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 March 19 13:58 GMT (UK) »
You could also try contacting "Wiganworld" - that site has some very assiduous researchers who are real whizzes at ferreting out unusual information. They've been a great help to me in the past, in the Leigh area. Just type it into your search engine, and register - it's free - and phrase your query to attract StJ ambulance and family historians with links with your surname.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 March 19 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ThrelfallYorky.

Regards

Doddie

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 June 19 18:46 BST (UK) »
Have had a reply from the museum in Clerkenwell. Unfortunately they have no information at all about Harry. I am now going to focus my attention on Lancashire. As with all things genealogical it really doesn't help when you are dealing with a very common name. Looking for a possible medical link I also checked on Ancestry to see if a Harry Smith served with the RAMC during the First World War but again, no joy. I will persevere!!

Regards

Doddie

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 June 19 23:10 BST (UK) »
Good Luck!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)