Author Topic: Alfred K Munnings  (Read 4327 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred K Munnings
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 16:00 GMT (UK) »
I have been contacted by a member of the family and they have asked me to refrain from contacting Mr Munning's son due to a problem with ill health which I am fully respecting, the last thing I want is to upset the family. 

Another member of the family? I know we cant ask name and age and relationship within the family as the person is obviously still living ...but.....

surely if you are in touch with the family then you are in a better position to ask about who Alfred/Gerald/Julian are than we are ?  Did you not ask this "other member" for more details?  Or , when he mentioned "Gerald"s ill health, ask for more about Gerald, for example?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 20:06 GMT (UK) »
As this family are untraceable under Munnings etc how did the family member become aware of your interest?   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 22 March 19 14:04 GMT (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 22 March 19 21:37 GMT (UK) »

Offline smudgepants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 27 June 19 11:19 BST (UK) »
If someone has changed their name here would it be recorded? It appears that Alfred K Munnnings may not have been his original name! My friend over in the uk is trying to help as much as he can and has spoken to someone else who claims to know a little bit about Mr Munnings. This person claims that his parents have spoken about a Mr Munnings but claim that his name was not Munnings. They apparently said they knew that Mr Munnings was a fighter pilot but do not know what his original name was.

The problem  have is that living in France I can not do things such as visit the archives in Kew or any other 'records office' in the uk and as my friend has never done this kind of thing he knows not where to look.

I have been investigating Munning's adventures here in France going to places indicated on maps he has made and it is evident that this person has been here as I have found things hiidden deep in the forest near Lyons-La-Forêt that are very hard to find, the last beiing a carving of what looks like a dead person on  a tree in exactly the same spot where Munning's or Monkey Munnings as I now call him.

I have shown the image of the dead person to the local chief of te forestry commission who knows the forest liike the back of his hand and it is the first he knew of it and is now investigating our find, once I get any info from him I will post t here, what is interesting is that there are the initials MN next to the carving.

I plan to return to this area with a local friend of mine who knows what to look out for concerning indications of a crash site. 

I will post any more findings as soon as I can but if someone can tell me where to look to find official name changes that would be much appreciated.     

Offline smudgepants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 27 June 19 11:25 BST (UK) »
This is a close up of the carving. It did not seem to work in my last post. 

Offline smudgepants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 27 June 19 11:28 BST (UK) »
The initials

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 27 June 19 14:05 BST (UK) »
I think a bit of imagination is required to see a 'dead person' in that carving.  I can't make it out I'm afraid.  :(

Would carvings on trees still be visible after so many years? Would a tree shed or retain bark? I know nothing about French trees but maybe someone will.

Mr Munnings seems quite illusive so unlikely to have formally changed his name - more likely to have just used Munnings as an alias. It seems an unusual surname to choose though.

I'll be interested in other's thoughts.  :)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 27 June 19 15:56 BST (UK) »
This Mr Alfred Munnings must've been just as much and Artist As Sir Alfred J. Munnings (1878 - 1959), but possibly gifted not in painting horses, but spinning illusions!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)