Author Topic: martha gunn  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: martha gunn
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 March 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
What was John's age in 1884 when he died, who was the informant?

Did he have a wife/children, was he a widower when he died, if not, who was his wife?

If he had a wife/children, have you found him on any census', if so, what info. do you have about him, age, occ. pob, children or other?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 March 19 20:48 GMT (UK) »
He was single and aged 29. I will be in register house, Edinburgh early next week, will have a look on the census.

Ann

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I looked for Martha Gunn/Nathaniel in Register house still a brick wall, however I have thought about it again, 1 of the messages that I received that she died in England, would my thinking be right, could she have died in England and been brought to Scotland and buried in the cemetery in Bathgate. I have contacted West Lothian Council, hopefully in time I might find out if there is a headstone.

Ann

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I looked for Martha Gunn/Nathaniel in Register house still a brick wall, however I have thought about it again, 1 of the messages that I received that she died in England, would my thinking be right, could she have died in England and been brought to Scotland and buried in the cemetery in Bathgate. I have contacted West Lothian Council, hopefully in time I might find out if there is a headstone.

Ann

If she died in England (as indicated by the earlier post) there would not have been any record in Scotland other than the Lair records. The council hold these, not the records of the headstones.

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Yeah my reckoning is that she did die in England and was brought to Scotland to be buried, the West Lothian Council were very helpful and are going to pass on the information that I gave them to the appropriate department, hopefully they will get back to me in due coarse, and determine if Martha does have a head stone.

Ann 

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 March 19 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Received a very welcome phone call regarding the Nathaniel family and Martha Gunn. There is a headstone with Thomas and Martha's name on it, also their Grandson's which were killed in action, seen the photo, absolutely over the moon, will be taking a trip to the cemetery early next week.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Ann

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 March 19 02:56 BST (UK) »
Great outcome Lyndsey!

I'm trying to locate 2 burials (husband & wife) although not same area & looks like it will cost a wee fortune as they're not buried in any of several possible expected burial grounds for the area they lived/died although died in the same yr at the same address, less than 7 mnths apart  ???

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 March 19 14:15 BST (UK) »
If you are referring to the cemetery I visited, if you google it, click the link to Paulville, you will see all the names that are buried there. Not sure if I have answered your question properly.

Ann

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 31 March 19 14:40 BST (UK) »
Lyndsey, the burials I'm looking for should be Lanarkshire (somewhere) although not where we would have expected?

Annie