Author Topic: Trying to trace the ancestors of John BLACKWELL, born circa 1790  (Read 957 times)

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Trying to trace the ancestors of John BLACKWELL, born circa 1790
« on: Thursday 14 March 19 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm aware that the Blackwells have been covered to some extent in this thread,

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=663392.0

but I felt for clarity's sake that it was better to start a new one. I'm looking for the ancestors of my 4x-great-grandfather John BLACKWELL.

On both the 1841 and 1851 censuses (the former of which Ancestry has mistranscribed as "Blacknell"), he is listed as a wheelwright, and the latter states his birthplace as Stokenchurch.

I have a will dated 1792 for a John Blackwell, a Stokenchurch farmer, who had sons named John, William, Richard, James and Henry (Henry was not of full age at the time) and a daughter Elizabeth. There's no mention of a wife as far as I can see, so I presume she predeceased him.

If this John is anything to do with mine, I would think he'd be the younger John's grandfather, but this is speculation. If anyone might be able to shed a bit of light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge