Author Topic: Roadblock to family tree! How can I get around it?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Roadblock to family tree! How can I get around it?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 March 19 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Have found this marriage

New York Roman Catholic Parish Marriages...transcription with right birth dates you have
Jeremiah Finn to Barbara Good 21 Nov 1835
Parish Transfiguration, Manhatten

There's a John Good, wife Martha Clarke baptising a daughter Barbara at the same church 9 Apr 1836
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 March 19 22:41 GMT (UK) »
This is from the passenger list that Chempat found.  It looks like Jerh was traveling with a Thomas Daig, based on the sharing of 1 box of belongings.

This could be "Duig" also, which could be "Doig" in the US or probably a variety of spellings.
If they were traveling together, there is a good chance they were neighbors in Ireland. What can you find out about Thomas?
There are probably a dozen people with his name out there but here is one of them:

Naturalized in Illinois Northern District, index only. but it would point you to his records.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XKL2-XWL

Still it is a very early naturalization and probably won't tell you a lot.
Did Jeremiah Finn get naturalized? Was there an obit for him when he died? Did his children's records mention a better place of birth than just "Ireland"? Did any of his children die while he was alive, is there a record, and did the record ask for parents' place of birth? (I found someone's townland that way once.)

Figure out whether or not William Finn in Detroit is Jeremiah's brother or not and do the same for his records also.
Were there Duig families in the same locality as the potential father William Finn of Cork? Look for the Tithe Applotment books for Duig & variations in  Cork, for example.

I don't know how common "Duig" is, I've seen it before but have never worked on any family of that name.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 March 19 22:45 GMT (UK) »
On Griffith's valuation, all the Doig families in Ireland were in Galway
https://www.johngrenham.com/findasurname.php?surname=doig

Your man left 20 years or so before that, and before the famine and its dislocations, but it gives you an idea. The Tithe applotment books and the freeholders lists were more in your Jeremiah Finn's era.

Offline Finndian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 March 19 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Oy... just noticed that both the passenger arrival dates come AFTER that marriage. Always a technicality!

Can I only find this marriage info on a pay service site? I don't see it anywhere else. It's not found on Ancestry.com either.

I've been trying to find Thomas Daig, Doig. I'll research the potential father William's neighborhood for Thomas because he is very researched and Jeremiah is not.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 March 19 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Oy... just noticed that both the passenger arrival dates come AFTER that marriage. Always a technicality!

Nope! Just Jeremiah's; and we didn't like the age discrepancy anyways.  B Good and Sarah Good arrived in New York one month before the marriage.  It's highly possible that Jeremiah came out to secure work and a place to live before Barbara joined him.  Passenger lists are hit and miss from back then.

Offline Finndian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 March 19 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that's a relief. It is still frustrating because I'd just found a better copy of the Florida passenger list. Its interesting to see that there are the same scanned documents at different sites that have different resolutions and contrasts. The same "Florida" passenger list with Jerh Finn with his buddy listed above and the name Thomas Daly and his age of 22 was legible despite the crease. Even their OCR software was able to read it.

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 18 March 19 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Not an expert on American marriages, wish I could help you more there but perhaps someone with a little more expertise in New York records will have the answer.
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Finndian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I have the marriage record from the church. Note the witnesses to the marriage... the Daly name appears again!

Is there any way the ship record might be incorrect?? If the arrival is 1835 and not 1836 everything falls into place, timing, names, ages. Is that passenger list name perhaps not Thomas Daly but James Daly? Can this all be that big of a coincidence?

Offline Finndian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 03:36 GMT (UK) »
The still standing church assured me their date is correct. I see on the steamer Florida there are two references to 1836 but both in different handwriting. I need to track the original list down to make sure it's not a mistake I guess.

What would you say is the age of Jeremiah Finn on this list? 10, 40??