Author Topic: photographing gravestones  (Read 2425 times)

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
photographing gravestones
« on: Monday 18 March 19 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Not sure where to post so I am going to try here.  If it should be somewhere else please tell me.
EmyrBorth has just now , very kindly, given me instructions to find my ancestors grave stone
and a description " a slate gravestone with a lot of white lichen on - Ellen's grave".
I hope to be able to visit the cemetery before Easter.
Any hints about how to get reasonable photos of the gravestone would be very welcome.
Diolch

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: photographing gravestones
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 March 19 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Pick a bright day to photograph it.
Light cloud is best, rather than direct sunlight

Ive been photographing for find a grave , the lighting has made the biggest difference overall. Im using a half decent smartphone.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 March 19 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I can only hope for good weather, our trip will be to lay flowers on my family graves by Palm Sunday.
I have a small digital camera which has given me satisfactory photos and a smart phone which I haven't tried out yet  It is the lichen that is making me think more than usual about the task.  I suppose that I have been lucky, up to now the gravestones that I have wished to photograph have been clean.
Thank you

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 March 19 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes bright sunlight makes it harder to read lettering. Might be a good idea to find a graveyard near home to practice taking photos with both the camera and phone.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Might be something useful here
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=317501.0

There was another thread but I can't find it, I remember someone said wetting the stone can help sometimes.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Below are a couple of links explaining how you can use a simple, home made reflector [1] to light a stone or alternatively, use an off camera flash [2] to light a stone.

Using an off camera flash is probably the best option, as you're not reliant on the sun. And it can be done using a compact camera, as explained in the link. Attached is one of my own examples; it's not the best example but gives you an idea the difference it can make.

[1] Gravestone Photography: Lighting
http://www.phototree.com/article_gravestone_lighting.htm

[2] How To Take Better Tombstone Photos | Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ajmexico/sets/72157638809538224
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Having taken a few photos of headstones over the last 30yrs I would take both phone and camera with you and go with an open mind!
Are you traveling some distance to view, I take amongst other things a kneeling mat to enable me to take a photo at a low angle.
Is the location an old neglected burial site, maybe a pair of garden shears come in handy?
I tend to take a photo firstly to view the location then if time permits a more detailed shot of the inscription.
More important is be safe,been down on my knees a few times falling into sunken graves and having my wife with me to help me onto my feet!
Regards Brian
Link for further reading: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/graveyards-and-gravestones/
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much, there is a lot to read and digest this evening.  I do like the idea of finding something similar near home to experiment and try out the techniques suggested.
Thank you.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 09:08 GMT (UK) »
If you know where in a particular graveyard the headsone is, your old friend, Google Earth, can be useful. Remember that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West and you might be able to work out what time of day is best to visit. An angled sun will help the inscription to stand out (if that’s not too much of an oxymoron!). What you don’t want is to be photographing a South facing headstone at mid-day.