Author Topic: No sources on FamilySearch.org?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
No sources on FamilySearch.org?
« on: Wednesday 20 March 19 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I've found a christening record of interest on familysearch.org but it has no sources. Clicking on the tree icon for this individual and selecting detail view shows various people have changed the record or are watching it but no sources are given. It also gives a year of birth but again with no sources. all in all, pretty useless.

In the righthand column it says that images are available at Family History Centres. Does anyone have experience of visiting such places? I assume it would be similar to the 'doorstep experience' and therefore not at all my cup of tea :D

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: No sources on FamilySearch.org?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Which country is the christening record in?

Maybe one of us can find an original index for it on a government source for you if you name the person?

Sounds like you have found a user submitted entry, they often have no official paperwork to go with them.

I've never gone to a FHS center because in my case they seemed to only have mirofiche indexes for my country, which I found at the library and now find online from my government.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Lidfam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Family History Centres are run by the Church Of Latter Day Saints and are usually attached to the churches thenselves . They are very good for research with film readers and fiche readers and computers. However they are spaced quite randomly and can be many miles from your home. You have to book a seat in the research rooms, and while doing so its worth checking if they have the film you want as they very often have to order it in for you. This can take a few weeks but once there, I believe there are no charges to use the facilities. i have used my local one many times and its a great experience.

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

@whiteout7: It's in England but as the birth/baptism is around 1802-1806 I think parish registers will be the only source. Between the records on familysearch.org, user created trees I've seen and the birth certificate of woman's only child born post-1837 there are several variations of her surname (Millard, Milwood, Millwood and Millward - this last one is almost certainly correct) which doesn't help!

@Lidfam: Thanks for that, I'll give it some consideration once the other options have been ruled out (there is one of these centres about 15 miles away so easy enough to reach if needed).

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Just as a matter of interest - the name appearing on the tree, is there by any chance a film number associated with it?  If there is, then the location can be found by searching the FS catalogue for that number, and that will give you the parishes covered.

Are you willing to share the name, and perhaps we might be able to help further?

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 11:24 GMT (UK) »
In the righthand column it says that images are available at Family History Centres. Does anyone have experience of visiting such places? I assume it would be similar to the 'doorstep experience' and therefore not at all my cup of tea :D

Over many, many years of using LDS libraries in several countries I have never, ever had a volunteer mention their religion or try to proselytize. I have even been friends with several and even outside the library religion wasn't brought up. Two of my relatives were volunteers at their local LDS centres although not in any way affiliated with the Mormons but I seem to recall them mentioning that church regulations had been changed (at least for their areas) and volunteers had to be church members.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 12:37 GMT (UK) »

Over many, many years of using LDS libraries in several countries I have never, ever had a volunteer mention their religion or try to proselytize. I have even been friends with several and even outside the library religion wasn't brought up. Two of my relatives were volunteers at their local LDS centres although not in any way affiliated with the Mormons but I seem to recall them mentioning that church regulations had been changed (at least for their areas) and volunteers had to be church members.

That's good to know, if I do need to visit. Thanks!

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Just as a matter of interest - the name appearing on the tree, is there by any chance a film number associated with it?  If there is, then the location can be found by searching the FS catalogue for that number, and that will give you the parishes covered.

Are you willing to share the name, and perhaps we might be able to help further?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=810297.0

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 13:11 GMT (UK) »
what was the person's first name?
? Millward, born 1802-1806? If you let us know the details we may be able to find it and see if there is any other way to find the source reference.

If it says it can be viewed at FHCs then the record has been digitised - which is good as its no longer possible to order films.

and, like others, I too have used FHCs in a few countries I have never come across anything but friendliness and help from the volunteers - I certainly have never experienced any discussion about religion.

Boo