Author Topic: Thomas Williams born Newcastle Emlyn lived in Laugharne  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Williams born Newcastle Emlyn lived in Laugharne
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 March 19 12:51 GMT (UK) »
When it says Thomas Williams was a Mariner, what does it mean; is there a distinction between owning his own boat, or crewing for others?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 March 19 19:38 GMT (UK) »
more than likely crewing for others. But he doesn't seem to be on this wonderful database

http://www.welshmariners.org.uk/search.php

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 March 19 16:44 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate arrived: 22 Dec 1855 in the Parish Church of Laugharne. It names John Williams as the father and was signed in the presence of Jonah Howell (her father) and Jane Killa, both with a cross. Rank or Profession of Father, gives Labourer for both. I assume his father was not present, with Jane Killa as witness. In 1871, Jane Killa was a Licensed Publican.

It is like searching for the needle in a haystack, looking for a John Williams in West Wales. The census information suggests his son Thomas was born c.1838 Newcastle-in-Emlyn Cardigan.

On Family Search I found a John Williams born c.1806 in Newcastle Emlyn, Cardigan on the 1861 Census. Registration Number RG09 Piece/Folio 4138 / 40 Page Number 15: Mary Williams his wife, born c.1803 in Llanstephan (Llansteffan) with children James Williams born c.1835 and Hanah Williams born c.1843 both in Llanstephan. Llansteffan is just around the headland from Laugharne. Thomas Williams was born c.1838, which fits within this the dates of this family. Although Census information says Thomas Williams was born in Newcastle Emlyn, they could have moved to Llansteffan after he was born and before James was born. It seems too close to be coincidence. At present I cannot find anything on the 1851 Census, which could confirm or dismiss my hunch.

Any ideas on this and what I do next?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 March 19 16:55 GMT (UK) »
This is incidental but in 1851, there is a Jane Killa 13 yrs just a couple of doors away from the Howell family. I don’t know if she is the one you found in 1871 but she is a likely candidate for the marriage witness.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 March 19 17:10 GMT (UK) »
You say Margaret died 1889 but could this be here in 1891?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:4PVK-SZM
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 March 19 17:22 GMT (UK) »
The one I offered may not be right, but there is a Jane Killa aged 50 in the 1951 Census, who lived at the Roches, Laugharne, so in 1855 she would be 54. Even this Jane Killa may not be the right one as there are different Killa families.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 March 19 17:30 GMT (UK) »
The Thomas Williams offered is his son and the middle Thomas Williams. My family is difficult as my grandfather, g-grandfather and gg-grandfather were all Thomas Williams. Thomas Williams born in Newcastle Emlyn is more difficult to find. But if my hunch is right, I should have been looking in Llanstephan.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 March 19 18:09 GMT (UK) »
sorry, I don't share your feelings about that John Williams in Llansteffan. According to the census, he was a mariner and the marriage cert has labourer. He did have a son called Thomas, but he was 12 in 1841.

Village, Llanstephan HO107/1382/22 folio 16 page 6
John Williams 35 mariner
Mary 35
Thomas 12
Evan 9
James 6
David 3
John 3 months
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 March 19 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Osprey,
Does the Census say where Thomas was born?
Between that Census and marriage, there is 14 years; Thomas would be 26 and John's employment could have changed, or not given accurately.
But if he were living in Llanstephan, it is easy to attend the wedding, so why would Jane Killa be the witness. It is much easier than from Newcastle Emlyn. I could row across to Llanstaffan in 30 minutes, and quicker than going by road today.
I will keep looking into this family.