Author Topic: GRO Online Index  (Read 3905 times)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRO Online Index
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 March 19 18:21 GMT (UK) »
This may or may not interest some of you. A while back I wrote a bit of javascript to run on the GRO's search page, which makes it quicker to use.

I've uploaded the script to Greasy Fork, which is an online repository for script writers to share their scripts with others. The script page details what functionality it adds, so I won't repeat it here.

If you want to use the script there's a couple of prerequisites...

1) A web browser that supports extensions
Firefox (desktop, Android), Chrome (desktop), Safari (desktop) or Edge (desktop).

2) A web browser extension to inject scripts
You'll need a 3rd party extension for your web browser, which'll actually inject the script into the GRO search page. There are 2 popular extensions:
Violentmonkey (Firefox, Chrome)
Tampermonkey (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Edge)

Personally I use Firefox and Violentmonkey but have tested the script using Chrome and Violentmonkey and Tampermonkey.

3) Install the script
Once you have the extension installed you can install the script. Go to the GRO Index Search Helper page on Greasy Fork and click the 'Install this script' button. You'll be prompted to confirm the installation. After installing it go to the GRO search page and it should have the added functionality.

If I update the script in future the extension should automatically handle it and update your local copy in due course.

If you want to disable or uninstall the script, simply open the management page for the web extension and disable or uninstall the script.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 March 19 07:54 GMT (UK) »
My only gripe is that it's not easy to find mis-transcribed records - if the soundex search doesn't show them up, you can't search with a wildcard or leave the surname blank.

I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this but FindMyPast have incorporated the birth registration MMNs (from 1837) into their own dataset, so if you have an FindMyPast subscription and want to use wildcards, in the surname or MMN (or omit the surname entirely), then you can use their search instead.

Very useful. Do you know if MMNs have been added for all entries yet?
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 March 19 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Very useful. Do you know if MMNs have been added for all entries yet?

As the GRO is free to search, I shall happily use that without worrying about FindMyPast while my sub has expired.  Anyone tried that javascript ?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 March 19 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Although I will continue to search on GRO, can someone please tell me where FindMyPast have added this additional information. 

I can only find mmn added to records post 1911 - i.e. from the date they were incorporated into the registers.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 March 19 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Go to civil births on FindMyPast and then input mmn (although a box comes up saying this can only be used for births for 1911 onwards try ignoring it!). I stumbled across this function a number of months ago but what I am not sure about is how extensive it is. What is surprising is that there has been no fanfare - so is it a work in progress?

I have just done a simple search for the surname Langstaff with mmn Parnaby and it has come up with the result I expected in 1839.

Also just realised that a link on FindMyPast actually takes you to  the GRO website if you wish to order a cert. (So no rip off!).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 March 19 10:07 GMT (UK) »
I have just tested several births on FindMyPast 'civil births' from 1839 onwards and they all come up with the mother's maiden name.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 March 19 10:26 GMT (UK) »
OK, I was expecting to see the surname appear on the transcription, but it doesn't.   :)

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 March 19 10:32 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at several and in every one I've looked at so far the mother's surname most definitely appears on the transcription!
(This was on a search which didn't include the mother's maiden name).
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 24 March 19 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Luck of the draw, then  :-\
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY