Author Topic: 1861 Wiltshire census look up please  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Mistyrose41

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1861 Wiltshire census look up please
« on: Monday 02 August 04 20:44 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace William Newman born Cricklade area 1843/46 fathers name is given as Joseph on his marriage certificate. Occupation Shepherd [perhaps just Agricultural Labourer].  Mistyrose
Wiltshire:  Cricklade, West Knoyle.
Names:Newman,  Mead.
Somerset: Hinton St. George, Lopen, Cricket St. Thomas, Hornblotton.
Names: Brook, Cranton, England, Mead.
Kent: Lympne, Dymchurch, Smeeth.
Names:: Taylor, Glayzier, Tebbles, Newman, Idenden.
Surrey: Hersham, Walton on Thames, Great Bookham, Byfleet, Stoke D'Abernon, Thames Ditton, Esher.
Pyrford.Wonersh.Dunsfold.
Names: Foster, Newman, Glashier, Brown, Bond, Morum, Pantling, Mead.
Middlesex: Littleton, Shepperton.
Names: Newman

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Wiltshire census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 04:37 BST (UK) »
Just tidying up some of the older requests. Have you had success with this one? Have you learned any more?  Please let us know - Is this information still required?

Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mistyrose41

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Kris,

I found 2 William Newman's on the '61 both b. 1845 and both stating that they were born at Highworth. One appears on the '51 parents John & Charlotte & subsequently on the '71 living at Siddlington Glos. The other William is a lodger at Common Farm in the Tything of Eastrop in the household of a William & Mary Stone. This could be my William. He is the right age, in the right area doing the right job! Could this be Mary from the Workhouse son? The other theory is that the Registar got the father's name wrong on William's marriage certificate [He misspelt the place, Middleton instead of Littleton!! so who knows]! I did find a William Newman b. Kempsford 1818 [just over the boarder in Glos] . This man's occupation is down as Shepperd on the '61 living at Filkins Oxford by '71 this family is back in Kempsford.  but can't connect a son William to him on the Wilts '51 so I need to get a lookup for the Oxford and Glos '51 census.  71' though to 1901 census only state 1 William Newman giving his place of birth as Highworth.
 I have to go to Trowbridge to look at their papers on the Workhouse to see if I can find out what happened to Mary's children after she died in the workhouse in 1852. I do feel that I have made some progress but still have a long way to go. Thanks for all the Rootchat help. You have been really great. Kind Regards, Mistyrose

Surrey: Hersham, Walton on Thames, Great Bookham, Byfleet, Stoke D'Abernon, Thames Ditton, Esher.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Mistyrose

You can search the 1851 for Gloucestershire online from gordon Beavington's transcription:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~cotswold/GLSontheweb.htm

All the places you mention are very near the borders, so they may just be there!

Good luck, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Mistyrose41

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arranroots I am slowly working my way through that one. Some of the children from this family were born at Taddington Glos. So I think I shall look there first. Regards Mistyrose