Author Topic: Death in Dolwyddelan in 1913.  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death in Dolwyddelan in 1913.
« on: Saturday 23 March 19 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where a person would be buried who lived in Dolwyddelan and died there in 1913?

Are there any Memorial Inscriptions available?

Which newspaper would publish an obituary at this time?

Jo

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Death in Dolwyddelan in 1913.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 19 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
What's the name and age of the person in question ?
Emyr

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 March 19 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello EmyrBorth,

The person who died in Dolwyddelan was Gertrude Frances Kerridge. Sometimes she is called Frances, rather than Gertrude. She died on 12/01/1913. She was born in 1884. At the time she was said to be proprietress of The Gwydr Hotel, Dolwyddelan.

Jo.

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Death is registered in Registration District of Llanrwst. Dolwyddelan was within that district 1837 - 1935.
Gwynedd Family History Society (GFHS) have published booklets of Monument Inscriptions (MIs), for 2 cemeteries in Dolwyddelan, the Church of England/Wales and Bryn y Bedd, non-denominational (ND). I think the Church one would have been full by 1913, and if she is buried in Dolwyddelan it will be the ND one.
Dolwyddelan is now within the 'County' of Conwy. Bryn y Bedd is not listed on their website as being one of theirs. It most likely belongs to the Dolwyddelan Community Council. I've sent an e-mail to the Clerk  and am awaiting reply.
I've searched the newspapers available on 'Welsh Newspapers Online', without success.
Emyr

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 March 19 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello EmyrBorth,

Thank you for this information. It is very helpful indeed.

I have the death certificate but up to now, haven't been able to find where she was buried, or an obituary for her. I suspect there wouldn't have been an obituary. Thank you for searching for me.

Jo.

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
Had a reply from Clerk of Dolwyddelan Community Council saying that Bryn y Bedd is theirs, but there is no record of anyone surname Kerridge buried there. He suggested that possibly she was from Gwydir Hotel, Betws-y-coed. I see you've got a copy of the death certificate. Is Dolwyddelan correct?

I've also been to the Conwy Archives in Llandudno. The Parish Register and Bishop's Transcript they've got only goes up to 1896. They've got the Monument Inscription booklets for both Dolwyddelan cemeteries, but there is no record of a gravestone with Kerridge on it in either cemetery.

There's a reference in newspapers of an A A Kerridge being tenant  of 2 pubs in Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Also in North Wales Chronicle 10/09/1915:  Family Notices - Deaths : KERRIDGE - on Sept 6th, at the Junction Hotel, Llandudno Junction, aged 49 yrs, Albert A Kerridge.  Internment at St Agnes' Church, at 12 o'clock on Friday. Funeral private.

Conwy Parish Burial Register:
10/09/1915  Albert Abraham Kerridge, North Western Hotel, Llandudno Jnc., Llanrhos, 49 yrs.
11/05/1916  Henry Kerridge, North Western Hotel, Llandudno Jnc.,  81 yrs.

MIs St Agnes cemetery:
A059  -  In loving memory of ALBERT ABRAHAM the beloved husband of AMELIA KERRIDGE, who departed this life Sept 6th 1915, aged 49 years.  "Peace Perfect Peace"
Not sad, but beautiful his memory
So calm, so bright
'Twill lead us through earth's darkness
Tenderly into God's light.
(marble cross & concrete kerbs.)

A061a  -  In loving memory of our dear father HENRY KERRIDGE who fell asleep age 82.
(slate kerbs)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 April 19 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your efforts Emyrborth, this is interesting information.

The death certificate of Gertrude Frances Kerridge definitely states she died on, "12 January 1913 at Gwydr Hotel Dollydelan". Albert Abraham Kerridge (her uncle) was present at the death and the informant.

Albert Abraham Kerridge was my gt grandfather. Henry Kerridge, who died in 1916, was his father.

I have seen their graves in St Agnes' cemetery. The last time I went there it was very overgrown.

It presents us with yet another Kerridge family mystery.

I am also trying to establish where Elizabeth Kerridge was buried. She died in Llandudno in 1947 and I believe she is the mother of Gertrude Frances Kerridge. It has been impossible to find her so far.

Jo