Author Topic: Wilson's in Knaresborough, Look-up Please.  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson's in Knaresborough, Look-up Please.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 March 19 16:23 GMT (UK) »

Perhaps his Mother was one of the Unmarried sisters?

The other thing is that there seems to have been a pattern of Wilson men having children late in life...

My late Father, (son of William James Wilson) was 56 when I was Born, and 60 when my sister was born. (My  mother was 30 years younger than him).

Unfortunately, he Died when I was 5, - and so no one to ask about his family:-(

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 March 19 16:34 GMT (UK) »
I've found the following Census entries which may be of intereat
RG11/2210/F40/p4
On board HMS Impregnable, Devonport
William Wilson 23 Single Private born Manchester
RG12/1833/F41/p9
Falmouth, Cornwall William Wilson 32 Lodger Royal Marine born Manchester
Lodging with a Navy Pensioner, Sampson Prout and family.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 March 19 16:48 GMT (UK) »

Thanks emeltom,

I have found those entries before, - because that seemed the most likely explanation for his absence from the Censuses...

I visited the National Archives at Kew a few years back now, and went through all of the attestation papers.

The William Wilson serving on HMS Impregnable stayed on in the RMLI, and was still in service when William James Wilson Married in 1893.

Annoying, - because I had thought it was him:-(

He does say, - in one of the Newspaper Articles that I found, - that he started his business 'Wilson and Co' with the sum of £36.00 in 1895. I wondered if that was the sort of figure that he might have got on leaving one of the Services?

Incidentally, of his 6 sons, 5 of them spent time in the Merchant and Royal Navy. And his eldest son, born in 1894, was named William Havelock Wilson; which I think was in tribute to the Leader of the Seamen's Union, Joseph Havelock Wilson.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline alleycat61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 January 22 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly, i have a bit of information on Francis wilson and photos of his home in Knaresborough if your interested...

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 January 22 11:43 GMT (UK) »

Yes please!

I’ll PM you with contact details.

Romilly.
Researching: