Author Topic: Marriage bonds at National Library of Wales  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage bonds at National Library of Wales
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 March 19 10:03 GMT (UK) »
As I said in my earlier reply, the Welsh Bonds that I've looked at,  as the English ones, have  very little detail as to residence, except the parish, names of Bondsman/men, fatehr of bride, if under age, etc.

What exactly do you want to do as there might be other documents that help.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Liza115

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 March 19 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Gadget, yes, any other documents that might include place names within a parish could be helpful for pinning down family groups. I am trying to sort out several families in Radnorshire with the  surname Palfrey or Palphrey. A number of families in different eras have children named Richard, Bryan, Thomas, John, Elizabeth, Ann and Mary. There's the occasional Elinor and Tabitha too. Through the centuries, almost every Richard has a brother Bryan, and almost every Elizabeth has a sister Ann.
In the pre-1813 baptisms, the mother's name is not always given, so it's hard to work out whose children are whose. The families are mostly in Llanbister, but also in Llanbadarn Fawr, Llanddewi Ystradenny and Llangynllo. As it's not a surname that originated in Wales, I imagine they are probably all related. Wills have helped to sort out some of them, especially when testators with no children of their own helpfully named all their nieces and nephews, and explained whose children they were. For a certain period, the tithe maps have helped too.
A slight complication is that in 1738, one John Palfrey married a Hester Palfrey. John and Hester each had a brother Richard, and possibly a brother Bryan, and a sister Elinor and I think a sister Ann. That John is the executor of his mother-in-law Mary Palfrey's will, which mentions her grandson John (son of her late son John. John was also the name of her late husband.) Mary's will also mentions two grandsons, Ezekiel and Joseph Palfrey, but since they are unusual names in her family, she didn't think it necessary to mention whose sons they were. There are a few possibilities, but I haven't pinned them down yet.
The will of John Palfrey [sometimes Phalfrey] left a property to his wife Hester and their son Richard. The property was named a few years later in a legal record when Richard and his new wife mortgaged it. This helped me make the link between one of several Richards and his father John.
Any ideas for other documents that might help to differentiate the people in this group?
Liz

Palfrey - Radnorshire, Wales
Odell - Ontario, Canada
Gilmour - Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Hare - Ipswich, Suffolk, England and Limerick, Ireland
Price - Antrim, Down, (now Northern) Ireland
Freeman - Waterford and Tramore, Ireland
Taylor - Taunton, Somerset, England
Helyar - Clifton, Bristol, England

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 March 19 13:18 GMT (UK) »
What were their occupations/status? I have found some of my ancestors in the various estate papers that the Nat Lib have online. The entries may refer to transfers, loans, land sales, etc. and often mention a house or township. 

I'm not very sure about Mid-Wales counties as most of my ancestors were from North Wales but I've also had help from local/county archives and FHSs. Some 'Parish Chest' info might also be available.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Liza115

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Gadget, they appear to be mostly farmers, some owning land and others renting it. A couple of wills which went to probate about 1803 describe a beneficiary Richard Palfrey as an excise officer, and his brother James as a soldier, but they are the exceptions. I've had help with finding records of excise men, so I know how to find out more about that one.
I found a few more clues about Ezekiel in a CD of early BDMs (from 1732) from Llanddewi Ystradenni, produced by the Powys family history society. May have to invest in CDs from other parishes to see if they can help with connections.
Yes, land transactions and loans create lots of paperwork with sometimes useful details.
Thanks for your interest.
Liz
Odell - Ontario, Canada

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked through these:

https://archives.library.wales/index.php/radnorshire-10

Gadget

Offline Liza115

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 07:44 GMT (UK) »
I don't think I've seen those ones, although they are similar in style (abstract) to some in the Powys archives website. I'll go exploring and see what I can find.
Thanks!
Liz
Odell - Ontario, Canada