Author Topic: Andrew 1811, s/o Michael Wyse & Ellen Connors-Baptism Look-up Please & Advice  (Read 904 times)

Offline HPW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi:  I am researching the Wyse family of St. John’s without, Waterford, Ireland.  Michael Wyse and Ellen Connors were married 24 Feb 1811 at St John's Parish, Waterford City, County Waterford.  They were Roman Catholic, no parents were listed but the witnesses were Witnesses John Connors & Matthew Machey.  Their son, Andrew Wyse was born in 1811 (according to various documents in the USA) but I cannot find a baptism record for him or the baptisms of any other siblings.  Based on the marriage location the title records for Ellen Wyse below , what church would this family have attended and baptized their children?  If possible, could someone to do a lookup for the baptism of Andrew Wyse in 1811/1812, please?

My second question has to do with how I can move forward with the following tithe records to prove/disprove that these are my ancestors:   
It appears that Michael Wyse may have died before 1834 because Ellen appears to be on her own from 1834 on.  Is that a reasonable assumption to make? 
The tithes place Ellen Wyse as follows: 
1834 Carrig West Townland, St John's Without, Waterford, 1835 Ballytruckle Townland, St John's Without, Gaultiere, Waterford,  and Waterford Townland, St John's Without, Waterford and 1845 Ballytruckle, St John's Without, Gaultiere, Waterford.  According to Griffiths Valuation, Ellen Wyse is located at Ballytruckle Townland, St John's Without, Gaultiere, Waterford. 
The tithe records place a  Michael Wyse in  1849 Ballytruckle Townland, St John's Without, Gaultiere, Waterford, Ireland, 1847 Crooke, Crooke, Gaultiere, Waterford, 1846 Crooke, Crooke, Gaultiere, Waterford, 1853 Crooke, Crooke, Gaultiere, Waterford.  I am thinking that this may be a son of Michael Wyse & Ellen Connors as he appears in Ballytruckle Townland in 1849.

The tithe records places an Andrew Wyse in 1845 Ballycourdra, St Johns Without, Gaultiere, Waterford, Ireland and I think this could be my Andrew, son of Michael Wyse & Ellen Connors.  Andrew immigrated to Buffalo, New York, USA and first record I have of him there isJuly 22 1849 when he married Jane Nickles.

I appreciate any advice you have to share with me.

Regards,
HPW, Canada
McFadyen, McGhee, Nelson/Neilson, McKeevor/McIvor/McIver, Gemmels, Fleming, Turner
Farr, Keep, Hatt, Draper, Libby, Martin, Bacon
Milne, Swan, Griffith, Hawkins, Foy, McCarthy, Gallwey, Caffary/Caffrey, Margaret

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew 1811, s/o Michael Wyse & Ellen Connors-Baptism Look-up Please & Advice
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 20:13 GMT (UK) »
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1118

Link to St John's parish R.C. registers free to search.

Marriages usually took place in bride's parish.

What records and years have you searched when looking for baptisms?

Offline HPW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew 1811, s/o Michael Wyse & Ellen Connors-Baptism Look-up Please & Advice
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestion.  Yes, I tried this site earlier this week and I think it will be worthwhile scrolling through the baptisms & marriages for the probable time periods.  It is amazing to know that we can actually see these records after such a long time.  I will let you know if I find any connections.

Thank you
HPW
Canada
McFadyen, McGhee, Nelson/Neilson, McKeevor/McIvor/McIver, Gemmels, Fleming, Turner
Milne, Swan, Griffith, Hawkins, Foy, McCarthy, Gallwey, Caffary/Caffrey, Margaret

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Marriages usually happen in the bride's parish, it's possible the couple weren't from the same parish so it may be worth checking surrounding parishes for the baptisms of the children.

Offline HPW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 21:24 GMT (UK) »
The parish records I checked were baptisms 1759-1787 and marriages 1760 1808. I chose those dates to see what Wyse/Wise and Connors might appear in this period. I did not think of a different parish for Michael Wyse but I will try that too.  Although I did several searches on just Waterford County.  So that will certainly be worth doing.

Thank you for your help.

HPW
Canada

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 22:34 GMT (UK) »
11 Wyse/Wise/Wyes R.C. baptisms in 7 County Waterford parishes 1810-1820 listed in FindMyPast (free search).
Waterford City parishes include St. John (Michael 1811 & 1825) and Holy Trinity  (John/Joannem 1825). None for Andrew.
I've not looked at Waterford registers. I've recently searched Wexford registers for early decades of 19th century. Quality varies. There was one which was in such disarray that I had to look carefully at each entry, checking each date because pages, months and years were mixed up and some pages were duplicated. I went forwards and backwards several times to ensure I'd seen all entries for a particular year. Some early years had few entries and many were illegible.
Cowban