Author Topic: Where to go next?  (Read 432 times)

Offline reynolds_1979

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where to go next?
« on: Thursday 28 March 19 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have hit a stumbling block in regards to the parentage of my 3 x g grandmother Dianna Lanes.

She was baptised on 2 Jan 1820. Mother Elizabeth Lanes, Servant. No father.

When Dianna marries George Doble in 1845 in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire she states that Samuel Stimson, Farmer, Lincolnshire is her father.

After research I had discovered a very probable candidate who's dates fit.

I have also come across a newspaper report from a quarter session in 1820 that says Samuel Stimson was appealing an order from the Parish Overseers, which essentially had made him responsible for Dianna. The order was quashed.

Would that have been the end of it for Elizabeth? Would she have then ben left to fend for herself and most probably depending on the Parish for help.

Where else would I be able to look for any further info?

Thanks in advance.

Philippe

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go next?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 March 19 20:59 GMT (UK) »
She would already be depending on the Parish; the overseers were trying to recover their costs from Samuel.

There could be any number of reasons why Samuel ended up not paying. He might even have been a friend of the people on the bench.

However Diana's mother seemed convinced enough that he was the father, to the point that his name went on the marriage certificate a couple of decades later.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go next?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 March 19 21:27 GMT (UK) »
If it was my research I would seek out the quarter session record, also check what other newspapers were printed in the area and see if any of those had other reports.

I was doing some research for someone in Austrailia who was looking for her direct line ancestors and had cpme across a similar situation, no father named, the mother was a sibling of one of my ancestors, but as one sibling was called Eliza and another sibling Elizabeth approx 2 yrs apart in age, both worked as servants in the same house, the child always lived with grandmother, then both married and moved away and child remained with grandma it was difficult to pinpoint her mother let alone her non named father so I did some investigations. ..... I researched the papers in the parish chest at the records office and in the parish day book (diary) was a village census taken in 1866 by the vicar of each house in the village it had so much detail in it, it named all the children of each family  even those who had left home, who they married, where they were ...so things like "George born xxx away at sea" it was full of great information. I also was able to read the local PC ( of the time) note book and again it was full of information ........ between those two books I was able to identify the mother and the father, so the researcher in Austrialia  now has both lines she can continue to research instead of an eucated guess on which sister was the mother along with copies of the records I found....... AND I gained lots of new knowledge and experience of records I didn't even know exsisted and a real incite of those times
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend