Author Topic: Llandygai area, Griffith Parry Birth circa 1777-1780  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Moragdon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llandygai area, Griffith Parry Birth circa 1777-1780
« on: Friday 29 March 19 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I’m looking to find the Birth, Baptism and Parents of Griffith Parry b.1777-1780 in Llandygai/Llandegai Caernarfonshire according to the 1841 and 1851 Census returns. He lived during that time in Holyhead, Anglesey and married twice, firstly to Ann Hughes who died in 1806 possibly following childbirth with their daughter Ann. Then in 1807 he married Catherine Lewis and had a number of children with her, Isaac, Elizabeth, John, Grace and Griffith. Catherine died in 1848. He was a Shoemaker in Holyhead, dying in 1859 at Thomas Street. Holyhead. I would love to find his birth and his parentage and any siblings. There are a few Griffith Parry’s around in that area at the same time and it’s difficult to sort them all out. Nothing comes up for Llandygai specifically but as it’s so close to Bangor there is a baptism of a Griffith Parry in 1778 with parents as Robert and Ellin but I’ve no idea if it’s them, and those names don’t appear in his children’s names! Any help or ideas would be great, thank you 😊
Dynan, McNamara, with potentially O’Dea, Casey, Mahoney, O’Neill and other historic Irish, likely Co Clare surname connections.

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Llandygai area, Griffith Parry Birth circa 1777-1780
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 March 19 22:55 GMT (UK) »
In that period, the Parry might well be due to his father's first name being Henry, rather than being a family surname. Try searching for that. Do you know what his wives' parents' names were ?. It will give you an idea of whether they were using usual naming patterns for their children.
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline Moragdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 19 09:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I’ll have a look into that with Henry as his father, I hope there’s not too many as without an idea of his parents names there are lots of Griffith Parry’s Born in that place at that time!
His first wife was Ann Hughes of Gwalchmai near Holyhead, only child Ann as his wife died in the same year as daughter was born 1806. His second wife was Catherine Lewis of Llanfihangel. Children’s names Isaac (can’t find any details for him other than the Census’) Mary b.1809 (?Stillborn as noted on church records but no details other than Year and ‘Died’ written at end of same entry), Mary b.1812, Elizabeth, John, Grace and Griffith ...maybe incorrect order as from memory.
I don’t know if this helps re naming patterns. Recently found out from his obituary (kindly found by a contributor to a Welsh Genealogy site) that Griffith Parry (senior) was a well respected Church Elder of the Calvinist Methodist in Holyhead, which is wonderful news as it corroborates a verbally handed down family story. Any help finding a baptism for Isaac Parry (listed as Blind and Pauper with the family on the 1841, 51 and 61 Census returns) would be wonderful. Thank you.
Dynan, McNamara, with potentially O’Dea, Casey, Mahoney, O’Neill and other historic Irish, likely Co Clare surname connections.

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 19 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a baptism, Bangor, 3d Sept 1780:
Griffith son of Richard Parry of Llwyn y Carw & Ellin his wife. (Findmypast - Caernarvonshire Baptisms)

Also there is a place called Llwyn Carw on Penrhyn Castle Estate, Llandygai:

Medieval and Post-Medieval Agricultural Features in North West Wales
http://www.walesher1974.org/her/groups/GAT/media/GAT_Reports/GATreport_1162_PtI_compressed.pdf
This is supported by place name evidence, for example Ffridd Carw on the. Penrhyn Estate, Llandygai (SH 58187033, PRN 38350). The use of the word Parc in ...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=258185&y=370335&z=0&sv=sh58187033&st=5&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf

Emyr
PS Need to change Streetmaps to Zoom Level 3 to see placenam Ffridd Carw.

Offline Moragdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 April 19 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you EmyrBorth, sorry for my delay in replying. That looks interesting and the map graphic is great, it’s also Llandegai which is the place he consistently gave on all Census returns etc. All other possibles are just listed as Bangor, with it being the nearest City. Thank you.

Offline Moragdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 July 19 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks also Emyr for the link to the Walesher1974 site, fascinating information, it's taken me a while to work my way through it.

I do think this Baptism is the most likely, it all fits with name, date and Llandegai...might be impossible to ever know 100%, but it's definitely the best option. I think/hope it's him.
Thank you so much.
Best wishes.