Author Topic: Allan family Galston  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Allan family Galston
« on: Friday 29 March 19 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I’m ideally looking for information regarding David Allan who was born 1706 in Galston in a woodland called “Bank” in Galston. His wife was Christian Johnstoun who inhave learned was addressed as Mistress Wallace for an unknown reason. I am from Yorkshire so have no idea if this is normal or not ??? They went on to have 6 children which I have found successfully. I have found his wife’s death but cannot find his death, what he did for a living or when his children died either. What’s more puzzling is that his parents are Alexander Allan and Janet Campbell.

Any other information is welcomed.

Thanks

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Allan family Galston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 March 19 11:23 GMT (UK) »
The following records are on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk a low cost pay to view site for all Scottish Records. You are fortunate that Freereg also have many Galston records.

ALLAN   ALEXANDER   JANET CAMPBELL   14/09/1702   Galston

Baptisms Galston, Ayrshire father ALEXANDER ALLAN only son DAVID 10/03/1706

ALLAN   DAVID   CHRISTIAN JOHNSTOUN   23/09/1734   Galston

Baptisms Galston, Ayrshire father DAVID ALLAN
ALLAN   ALEXANDER   20/07/1735
ALLAN   AGNAS   24/04/1737
ALLAN   GEORGE   28/09/1740
ALLAN   DAVID   31/10/1742
ALLAN   ISOBEL   25/02/1745
ALLAN   MARY   14/06/1747
ALLAN   ANDREW   25/06/1749

Sadly the only death records before 1855 when Statutory Registration started was 1762-63.

The mistress Wallace bit is confusing I will try to find Christian.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 March 19 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Previous thread re location and death inquiries https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=808318.0

Re "Mistress Wallace" - perfectly normal  if that was her maiden name (but not normal if it wasn't) - In Scotland a person legally retains their birth name with any other name being added as an "or" "a.k.a"  this would have been especially true in a rural area like Galston. What evidence do you have of this ?

Corrected to make sense::)  (I should read the whole of a post before responding  :-X )

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 March 19 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Alexander was Baptised at Rickertown 1735 his father was a Taylor (Tailor) abode Town. When Mary was born in 1747, her father was a Merchant abode Town. These are the only two when an occupation is noted.

The reference to Rickertown is most likely Riccarton near Kilmarnock.

ALEXANDER senior was baptised 08/09/1672 Galston father William, it looks like he was an only child.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 March 19 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Re "Mistress Wallace" - perfectly normal - In Scotland a person legally retains their birth name with any other name being added as an "or" "a.k.a"  this would have been especially true in a rural area like Galston if she was from there.
But if her maiden surname was Johnstoun, as listed in the baptism records, why would she be called Mistress Wallace rather than Mistress Johnstoun? Or, if her maiden surname was Wallace, why is she recorded in the baptism registers as Johnstoun?

I am wondering if perhaps Mistress Christian Johnstoun had died, and her widower then married a Mistress Wallace?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 March 19 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
His wife was Christian Johnstoun who inhave learned was addressed as Mistress Wallace for an unknown reason.

Can you give us the context you have for Christian Johnstoun/Allan being called Mistress Wallace, please?

Looby :)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 March 19 15:38 GMT (UK) »
The original post notes that the death of Christian was known. None of the records for the children included the mothers name. There are no births for Christian Johnstoun or Wallace in Ayrshire.

As there are no records in Galston, I wonder if the information stems from this SP death?

CHRISTIAN AILLOUN (WALLACE / ANDREW WALLACE) 10/04/1742 Fenwick

CHRISTIAN WALLACE (AILLOUN / ANDREW WALLACE) 10/04/1742 Fenwick

Two DAVID ALLAN records on SP both to ISABELLA MILLAR
04/01/1845 Ayr and presume banns 29/12/1844 St Quivox

None of this fits ideally but perhaps Josh will let us know?

Colin

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 March 19 17:53 GMT (UK) »
The original post notes that the death of Christian was known.
It didn't say that. It said, "I have found his wife’s death", but it didn't say if his wife was named, or listed as 'David Allan's wife'.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 March 19 20:17 GMT (UK) »
But if her maiden surname was Johnstoun, as listed in the baptism records, why would she be called Mistress Wallace rather than Mistress Johnstoun? Or, if her maiden surname was Wallace, why is she recorded in the baptism registers as Johnstoun?

I am wondering if perhaps Mistress Christian Johnstoun had died, and her widower then married a Mistress Wallace?

I agree (and have corrected my ramblings from earlier). Unfortunately without viewing the actual evidence linking these names to the individuals and being able to put it into context it becomes a matter of supposition.