Author Topic: Allan family Galston  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Allan family Galston
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 March 19 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately without viewing the actual evidence linking these names to the individuals and being able to put it into context it becomes a matter of supposition.
Spot on.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 March 19 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes Colin that is the correct information although I didn’t know there was a Mary so thanks for that. Yes his grandfather was Alexander too.

Unfortunately I have made a mistake and got mixed up between the wives of the men in the family as there are 3 generations of David Allan. So David Allan in 1706 who marries Christian johnstoun is correct but I got mixed up with his grandson who is David Allan 1770 who marries Elizabeth Thomson who is on a family picture addressed as “mistress wallace” ???

Elizabeth Thomson has a marriage document where it states she is from St. Andrews fife. This is her first marriage so I’m not sure where the Wallace has come from ? 

I will definitely have to take a trip to the areas of a Galston and the surrounding areas to see what it’s like now after reading the history there and my family being there at the time too. I will need to go the see the Kirk sessions anyway to find any clues as to deaths or mis happenings as my family seem to hide things for many generations.

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 March 19 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on the children he had David Allan 1706? Did Alexander pass early ?did the girls do well ? Any info is welcomed and appreciated.

Sorry for the late replies to I work 45 hours a week.

Offline mointhehage

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 March 19 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I have an Alexander and Janet Allan in my family tree born around 1735. My family tree is on my heritage under the name whitfield

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 March 19 10:30 GMT (UK) »
This is what might have happened to the following?

ALLAN   DAVID   CHRISTIAN JOHNSTOUN   23/09/1734   Galston

Baptisms Galston, Ayrshire father DAVID ALLAN
ALLAN   ALEXANDER   20/07/1735 may have married MARGARET CONNEL 26/05/1758 Kilwinning
ALLAN   AGNAS   24/04/1737 several possible marriages
ALLAN   GEORGE   28/09/1740 may have married MARGARAT GULLILAND2 9/12/1768 Kilbirnie
ALLAN   DAVID   31/10/1742 married Jean Hall more to follow
ALLAN   ISOBEL   25/02/1745 may have married ROBERT ORR 28/12/1768 Kilbirnie
ALLAN   MARY   14/06/1747 several possible marriages
ALLAN   ANDREW   25/06/1749?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 March 19 10:42 GMT (UK) »
DAVID ALLAN married JEAN HALL 29/05/1761 Dreghorn

JOHN 30/06/1762 Dreghorn
DAVID 25/03/1770 Kilmaurs (I assume this is the one who married Elizabeth)?

DAVID above married ELIZABETH THOMSON 13/06/1795 St Andrews and St Leonards

ELIZABETH 21/09/1771 St Andrews and St Leonard, parents ANDREW THOMSON MARTHA NEWAL

8 children on SP born Glasgow.

However a tree on Ancestry notes that David Allan who married Elizabeth Thomson was born in 1764, below, it refers to Elizabeth as Mistress Wallace and that they had 9 children.

ALLAN   DAVID   DAVID ALLAN/JEAN MANSON    11/07/1764   Glasgow

How sure are you that David 1770 married Elizabeth?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 March 19 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I will need to go the see the Kirk sessions anyway
Don't go to Galston or anywhere else expecting to see the Kirk Session records, because they are not there. Almost all the surviving Kirk Session records are in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh.

Go to http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx. Search for Galston, and put CH2 in the box for Reference.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 March 19 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Are you thinking that David Allan 1770 married somebody else ? To my knowledge he did marry Elizabeth Thomson.

I have David and Jean Hall as his parents to that is correct.

For Elizabeth I do have her parents as James Thomson and magdalin Matilda pithy ?

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 March 19 19:45 GMT (UK) »
I also have Elizabeth Thomson born in 1773 St. Andrews fife *