Author Topic: Emanuel Evans...mystery preacher from Anglesey!  (Read 1335 times)

Offline HDeFer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emanuel Evans...mystery preacher from Anglesey!
« on: Friday 29 March 19 16:49 GMT (UK) »
My 5X GGF is Emanuel Evans (~abt.1763-1836).  With help from rootschat members, I was able to identify him and have since spent a couple of years researching him.  I have his will, biography, death bond (no will), electoral roll, handwritten letters by him applying to preach in Amlwch, Anglesey, notes taken on his sermons, Amlwch 1801 census, his marriage record, countless records of him preaching all over North Wales, traveling with Rev. Christmas Evans (famous minister from that time), etc.  But, for the life of me, I cannot figure out where he was born, and I have grown quite fond of Emanuel. 

The "Brief Biography" from "Brief Biographies of the first Calvinistic Methodist preachers on Anglesey" says that he is a native of Amlwch, but he was married in Llansannan, Denbighshire in 1785.  That marriage record says he was a bachelor of Llanrhaidr.  I've checked all over both Llanrhaidr's and back, with no luck.

Recently, Y-DNA confirmed that Emanuel Evans likely descends from Quakers in Dolgellau (or their ancestors).  My Dad matched with multiple descendents of Robert Ellis, born 1651 in Dolgellau.  Robert Ellis came to settle in the Welsh Tract after William Penn in 1690.  I have no idea when/where the connection was, but I am officially stuck.  There is a possible baptism of an Emanuel Griffith in Llanystumdwy in 1761, but I believe that I found that Emanuel Evans at a mill nearby - still checking that out though.  With patronymics and possible Quaker connections I am at a loss for where to look next.  Were there Quakers near Bala?  Are their other sources I should check?  Can anyone recommend places to look/things to try?  I would so appreciate the help!  We have an Evans/Morgan family reunion in June and I am compiling everything on Emanuel to share.  No one in my family knows anything about him, and I am glad that he won't be forgotten!