Author Topic: Family search  (Read 2335 times)

Offline gillianwaugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family search
« on: Sunday 31 March 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
Looking for McKenzie/ Mackenzie family, roots in Sutherland but moved to St. Monans and Pittenweem. Thank you

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family search
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 March 19 17:21 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!  :)

Whilst I don't have any connections to Scotland, I think it might be good if you could give some indication of dates, a little of what you already know, etc. so that others may be able to be of more help than I.  ;)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 March 19 17:56 BST (UK) »
These are fairly common surnames so you would need to provide more specific names and dates for anyone to be able to offer help.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline gillianwaugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 16:35 BST (UK) »
Looking for Neil McKenzie born 1814 to parents John Mackenzie/McKenzie and Henney/Heny Mckay/Mackay who married 1812 in Farr, Sutherland. Believe Neil had siblings, John, Donald and Henny. Neil moved to Edinburgh around 1848, where he and his wife Alice Charles had 4 children and then moved to St. Monans  Fife around 1860 where 5th child born. Neil died1884 in Pittenweem, Fife. Particularly keen to find info on Neil’s parents and siblings, which probably relates more to Sutherland. Than you for any info.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 16:41 BST (UK) »
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline gillianwaugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 17:25 BST (UK) »
Yes I have and very helpful they have been. But because some of the info I am looking for is before 1855, some of the papers are indecipherable! Also some confusion over Neil’s mother’s surname has complicated the search.😊😊

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 19:32 BST (UK) »
Yes I have and very helpful they have been. But because some of the info I am looking for is before 1855, some of the papers are indecipherable!
If there is a problem reading a document from SP, ask them to re-scan it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline gillianwaugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 19 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that advice. It’s appreciated.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 April 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
I have found just lately there is Scottish information on FindMyPast  (ssshhh dont tell anyone :) )

Scots People are the best for Scottish information and the cost is reasonable.. but just lately I have found the odd Scottish bits and pieces on FindMyPast -- and due to the amount of Scots I have yet to tidy up --- its helpful..

So try Find My Past.. you never know.

xin