Author Topic: Fleming/Buchanan Old Cumnock  (Read 2565 times)

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
Fleming/Buchanan Old Cumnock
« on: Monday 01 April 19 02:29 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Fleming family from Ayrshire and I have hit a road block with the marriage of Robert Fleming and Jane Buchanan. The only record I can find of them is on the MC of their son William to Jean Buchanan in 1855. Can anyone suggest where I could look to find info prior to this date. I have a connection with both Flemings and Buchanans and would love to think there is a commonality there somewhere. Scotlands People didn't help me.
Ron
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fleming/Buchanan Old Cumnock
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 April 19 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron,

Can I just clarify , please?

The marriage of William Fleming to Jean Buchanan in 1855  - you state you have this marriage certificate - where did this marriage take place, please?
There is no record on Scotlands People of a couple with these names getting married.
Did William's wife have the same name as his mother , Jane/Jean Buchanan?
You mention Old Cumnock in your heading  - do you believe both these couples were connected to this town/area? 
There is a marriage in 1855 of a William Fleming to a Mary Clark at Old Cumnock  ???

Have you tried finding William on the 1851 Census? He could still be with his parents ?
If the marriage cert you have is a Scottish marriage record, can you give us the addresses William and his bride gave and their ages and occupations.

Looby  :)
PS. Scotlands People holds all existing birth, marriage ,death, census records for the country. 

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 April 19 09:43 BST (UK) »
Can anyone suggest where I could look to find info prior to this date.Scotlands People didn't help me.
If there is nothing on Scotland's People, then the overwhelming likelihood is that the records of this couple, if such records ever existed, have not survived.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 April 19 22:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry, sorry,  mea culpa:(

Robert Fleming and Jean Buchanan had a son William in 1831.

In 1855 William married Mary Clark in Old Cumnock C of S.

Their addresses on the birth cert. were both Cumnock but Robert's 'Usual address' was Cumbernauld. He was 24 and an Ironstone Miner, she was 32 and her occupation looks like Seamstress.

In the 1841 census of Cumbernauld there is a 15 year old William Fleming, son of William and Jean Fleming.

It is Robert and Jean that I am unable to trace.

Sorry for the confusion, Ron
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 11:04 BST (UK) »
Their addresses on the birth cert. were both Cumnock but Robert's 'Usual address' was Cumbernauld.
Er ... do you mean William's address?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 21:36 BST (UK) »
Yes Forfarian you are absolutely correct and it was the marriage cert not the birth certificate.
Sorry about that, I must stop doing this work late at night!!
With apologies,
Ron

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.

Just to get this straight in my head, you have William Fleming, aged 24, son of Robert Fleming and Jean/Jane Buchanan, getting married in 1855 and giving his usual address as Cumbernauld.

So if his age is accurate he was born in 1830 or 1831, and in 1841 he would have been only 9 or 10 years old. Not 15 (and did you not say that the 15-year-old in Cumbernauld in 1841 was the son of William, not Robert, Fleming?)

Does the marriage certificate say what Robert's occupation was, and whether he and Jean/Jane were deceased? Because if they were still living, you should go for their death certificates.

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 22:35 BST (UK) »
Again Forfarian I know why you have seven stars.
I included the census out of interest as I had gone down that route with little success.
I also did the death cert search of both Jean (Buchanan and Fleming) and Robert and was presented with many results but due to my limited knowledge of where they may have been living and a limited budget I was attempting to narrow the search before I go further by searching for their wedding certificate.
Maybe not the best approach.
Regards,
Ron

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
Again Forfarian I know why you have seven stars.
Because I have made several thousand posts on here!

I also did the death cert search of both Jean (Buchanan and Fleming) and Robert and was presented with many results but due to my limited knowledge of where they may have been living and a limited budget I was attempting to narrow the search
If the marriage certificate says they were still living, you can search for a married woman using both her maiden and her married surname. Also use lots of wildcards - fl*m*ng, j*n*, b*ch*n*n* - to catch spelling variations.

before I go further by searching for their wedding certificate.
There is no wedding certificate to search for because wedding certificates did not exist before 1855, when statutory civil registration started. The best you can hope for is a record of the proclamation of banns from the parish register, which (if it exists) might tell you the date of the actual wedding or might not. It is extremely unlikely to tell you anything else, for example the names of Robert's and Jean's parents.