Author Topic: Fleming/Buchanan Old Cumnock  (Read 2564 times)

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
Re: Fleming/Buchanan Old Cumnock
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 23:48 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Forfarian, I will try again with all the suggestions you have made.
Regards,
Ron
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 23:59 BST (UK) »
There is the possibility that the parents married in a RC church. Last time I checked, not all RC records were available on Scotland's People.
I have just such an instance in my own tree. A couple married in the 1850's in Ayrshire, but I can find no record of the bride's parents marriage. I did discover they were of Irish background, so have looked for RC records without success.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 01:12 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Pinefamily, no luck there either
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 07:20 BST (UK) »
The name Buchanan caught my eye; they eere some of the Irish ancestors who came to Ayrshire in my tree.
Jane Carthew (I think) married a Thomas Buchanan (no marriage found), both born to Irish parents. Their children all married in the Scottish church Interestingly.
Nice sulphur crested by the way.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 09:02 BST (UK) »
There is the possibility that the parents married in a RC church. Last time I checked, not all RC records were available on Scotland's People.
All the surviving RC records are on SP.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Have you found William and Mary Fleming on the 1861 Census (and any other Censuses) ?
There is a child born (I'm assuming you already know this ) on 30th April 1856 called William Clark Fleming to William Fleming and Mary Clark at Old Cumnock.
Have you seen the death certificate of William Fleming snr?
If so who has the informant of his death named as his father?
Who were the witnesses to his marriage to Mary?
It was common in Scotland for many years - although the practice was not always strictly adhered to - to call the first son after the father's father and second son after the mother's mother.
With daughters , first daughter called after mother's mother , second after father' mother.
Just wondering if the name Robert has been recorded in error.

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 10:12 BST (UK) »
Please bear with me -
this could be a total red herring  ::)

There is a 10 year old boy Will B Martin living with a Jean Buchanan (aged 65) at Cumbernauld on the 1841 Census.
1851 at Cumbernauld - William Martin aged 19 is lodging with a family called Walker - he is a Limestone Miner .
William Buchanan Martin was born 12 May 1831 - this would make him 24 in 1855
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYZP-4BC

His mother was Agnes Fleming .
Agnes Fleming (I believe) was the daughter of John Fleming and Janet Buchanan born in Cumbernauld 11th May 1809.

The boy on the 1841 Census appears to be William Buchanan Martin living with his (probably) widowed grandmother Janet/Jean Fleming - using her own name of Buchanan. Women in Scotland could always use their birth name even when married and many did indeed revert to it when they were widowed.
I can't find this William Martin after 1851 Census - he may , of course have emigrated or died.

Only drawing this young man to your attention as it would not be the first time some-one re-invented himself/herself especially when the married.  William Fleming may have given his grandmother's name as his mother's because she was possibly the woman who raised him.

All this is supposition  ;D - but worth throwing in the mix, if only to be debunked.

Looby :)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
All the surviving RC records are on SP.
Thanks for the update,  Forfarian. It's been some time since I was on Scotland's People. I may have to go and see if my missing ancestors are there now.

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 April 19 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,
Thank you again for all the effort you are putting in to this search. I have only very briefly read your email as I will be away from my computer for a couple of days. I love the way your mind works:)

I have found that William Fleming and Mary Fleming (nee Clark) with their son William Clark(e) Fleming emigrated to Australia on the "Emma" arriving in Australia on Jan 31, 1857. Not sure if this helps or hinders my search for details of Robert Fleming and Jean Buchanan.

I will do a lot more digging on my return next week.

Thanks again for your assistance.
Ron