Author Topic: Any suggestions where I go from here?  (Read 5707 times)

Offline polly

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Any suggestions where I go from here?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 August 04 14:46 BST (UK) »
you could check the freebmd for the birth of both parties and for the marriage of the parents. This may give you clues.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 August 04 15:51 BST (UK) »
I spend a good deal of time doing comedy Northern Ireland accents to see how a scottish burring enumerator would hear an Antrim Fallon. 

Pam I know what you mean,  I do comedy Devon accents on a regular basis,  I have even been known to rope in my husband,  to tell me what it sounds like to him.

I have no idea about the Norwegian accent though,  how the Bristol burr coped with that is a mystery to me.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline justevi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 August 04 17:36 BST (UK) »
you could check the freebmd for the birth of both parties and for the marriage of the parents. This may give you clues.

Tried that Polly but you wouldnt believe how many James Taylors there are and I dont know wifes name or really any idea when they married. As for Henry's birth, anything is possible cos I dont know where he was born. There is one b Workington 1891 I will probably order but I am not sure it will be conclusive.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Thompson, Wednesbury/Wolverhampton area of Staffs - Cumberland.

Offline justevi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 August 04 23:33 BST (UK) »
I took your advice Nell and checked out the 1901 census. It looks very positive cos they were living at 3 Derwent ROW! I know have Derwent Road, Crossings & Row LOL I know that Road & Crossings were one & the same so I assume Row was too. Many thanks!
Joan
Thompson, Wednesbury/Wolverhampton area of Staffs - Cumberland.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 August 04 19:22 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of assistance, Joan.
 :)
Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 August 04 09:00 BST (UK) »
Rob, I wasn't having a go at the emunerators - I was trying to make the point that some people held the emunerators in not very high regard, and so told them any old rubbish.

I do agree with what you said though. I have just transcribed the 1891 census for a parish in rural north Wales. The only people who spoke English were the gentry family and the parish vicar.

A point of interest is that in the gentry family there is a young servant from Scotland, who speaks both Welsh and English.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II