Author Topic: CASEY family - South Australia  (Read 9923 times)

Offline caseykid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
CASEY family - South Australia
« on: Monday 15 August 05 03:22 BST (UK) »
With the help of Rootschat I discovered 2nd cousins in Melbourne.......Thanks Rootschat. ;D

We would like to track 2 other great uncles and an aunt that contact was lost with:

Jeremiah Joseph Casey.....b. Burra, SA 1881 m. Louisa Ethel Hourahan in WA. Children possibly named Desmond and Clare. Jeremiah served in both the Boer War & WW1. He is buried in Karrakatta Cemetery, Perth........date: 1955

James Leonard Casey.......b. SA 1886 m. Lillian Speed in Adelaide, SA 1911.
He may have moved to WA and was supposedly a 'trooper'.......possibly policeman. No WW1 records for him.

Mary Margaret Casey........b. SA 1883.......no information other than date of birth. She would possibly have been born in the same area as other siblings.......Nth Flinders Ranges/Burra.

The family moved to from SA to Melbourne in approx.1886 - 1888.

Parents were: James Davoren Casey (b. Ireland) & Emily Quinn (b. Burra) m. 1876 Burra, SA

Emily died just after giving birth to her 9th child....in 1890.

This child, Micheal Thomas, and my Grandfather, Francis Patrick, were sent back to Burra, SA to live with their mother's Quinn family.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Casey, Lynch, Quinn, Kain, Wiblin

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Casey family - South Australia
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 06 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caseykid

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 06 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caseykidm

I hadn't noticed this one until Ticker highlighted it. If I can check any Burra Records for you please let me know. Certainly still Quinns in the area  ;) Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 06 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Caseykid,

There is a possibility that your family came from Co. Clare in Ireland. The names Casey, Davoren (and alternative spelling Davoran) were found in the County in 1855 when Griffiths Valuation was conducted in the county. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

The other county worth considering is Tipperary where both names appeared in the same parish in 1850-51.
http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm

I hope this is of some assistance to you.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline caseykid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 February 06 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi to you all.......and thanks for your replies!

Christopher........... the Casey family does come from County Clare.

We have, only in the last week, discovered there are possibly two other siblings of James Davoren Casey...... who also came to Australia.
One being Jeremiah Darby Casey - k/a Darby, who was a miner in Burra and moved to Broken Hill. Jeremiah Darby's date of birth was 1831 in County Clare.....possibly Ballyvaughan, Parish of Drumcreehy..died Broken Hill, 1917. The other possible sibling was John Casey born...1842 in Clare, died 1913, also Broken Hill. This information was supplied by Jeremiah Darby's GG.Grandson. Both their death certs. or family history list James Casey & Bridget Davoren, County Clare as parents.

So far we have come to a rather frustrating standstill on tracing my Grandfather's older siblings......I think I will have to do more searching in WA.

Kris.........my Grandfather, Francis/Frank Patrick Casey is in the Burra School records...approx.1900.
His guardian in those records is listed as a James Quinn, described as a 'Gardener'. His mother Emily (Amelia or Aurelia), was the daughter of John Quinn, also a 'Gardener' of Burra. I could surmise that James Quinn was his uncle perhaps, as he was sent to Burra to live with Quinn family after his mother's death in Melbourne.

Francis is buried in Burra Cemetery........he died in 1919, aged 30 yrs.

If you have any information or contacts on descendants of John or James Quinn in Burra it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks for your interest and help........it is much appreciated. :)

Regards,
Lynne........the Caseykid! :D

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 February 06 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

By this I presume you do have some information from Burra as you have mentioned School Records. It would help if you could let me know what you have already so I am not doubling up.

Do you have details of your grandfathers death and burial or know if there was anything in the local paper? I can view all the certs, burial, grave stone if there is one, newspaper etc.

It does take some time going through the different records so would be a help if you could let me know what records you have so I am not doubling up.

Look forward to hearing more so I can get on the trail through the week. I love spending time at the library going through the old records. Fascinating pasttime

It seems a lot of the miners, as well as moving about the Copper Triangle of SA also  moved on from Burra to Broken Hill. Most of the miners here were Cornish and Welsh. The old section of the cemetery has monuments written in Cornish and Welsh. It was a hard life in its hayday. Mortality rates were high. You have to wonder what these people thought when they arrived in places like Burra and Broken Hill after leaving their lush green homelands looking for a new life. In the mid 1800's thousands of people lived in dugouts along the dry creek bed. The floods came and the disease as you can imagine the death toll was horrendous.

Kris  :D

Offline caseykid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 February 06 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kris,

I found the record of my Grandfather's grave in the Catholic section of Burra Cemetery on a site listing SA burials.
The date of death, name, his age and the cemetery location of Burra all correlate with when I knew he died and where he died. That is the only information I have. My Father suspected he had TB but according to my Grandmother he died of Spanish Flu. His health was not good for some time apparently.
I don't, as yet, have a birth or death certificate for him so all I have run with is what is known through family history and information my cousin, Clare, has given me. Clare is the Grandaughter of my Grandfather's oldest sister, Bridget.

I found Francis Patrick's name on the School Records for Burra on the burrahistory.com.au website and have corresponded with the lady who runs the family history section on that site. She was helpful in providing some information and she provided the contact of another Burra historian who was reasonably confident that John Quinn was the father of Emily. John Quinn is listed on the 'Burra Pioneers' page of this site and I have a newspaper obituary for him. There were 2 Quinn families in Burra around that time. I'm embarrassed that I can't remember this ladies name but she owns a B & B called Birch Cottage and was very helpful.

My Grandmother, Catherine Margaret Lynch, was also from that area of SA.....Pekina, and was also obviously Irish descent, with a name like Lynch. :D
A very distant cousin recently provided a lot of information about her family living around this area.

I was aware that Burra had a lot of Cornish & Welsh migrants and that the Irish tended to be farmers......as my Grandmother's family were.

The family link with Broken Hill is interesting and I suspect has something to do with the Railways as well as mining. My Grandfather was a Railway worker and married my Grandmother in Broken Hill.......where my father was subsequently born in 1913. My G. Grandfather, James Davoren Casey, was also a Railway worker in Melbourne.

Having looked at photos of Burra, yes, I can imagine it seemed a very harsh place after Ireland, but Irish immigrants were pretty desperate I guess, after the Potato Famine.

The Jeremiah Darby Casey I mentioned was apparently in Burra at some stage? but also in lancelot (nr Gumbowie). He was also at Kapunda where he was a Foremen at the smelting works. He tried his hand at farming at Terowie, not successfully, and was a Carrier from Kadina to Adelaide prior to the railway opening. Other locations mentioned in his history are Mt Gipps, The Barrier (Silverton) and Limestone or 'The Acacia' before he ended up in Broken Hill.

The John Casey I mentioned (another sibling of James Davoren we suspect) had 12 children, the first 6 being born in Burra. The last 6 children were born in Coglin & Dawson in SA and Broken Hill.

As you can see I am having to use a bit of guesswork regarding my Grandfather. :-\

Anything you can find or confirm would be wonderful.

Many, many thanks.
Regards,
Lynne

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 February 06 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne. I have been on a hunting mission today ......Starting with BMDs

If information is from the cert I will specify as I go

BIRTHS CASEY

Details from cert
Mary Amelia 9 Aug 1877 Father James Casey  Farmer, Mother Amelia Casey Formerly Quinn Residence Yarcowie Dist Bur 186 397....Informant ?n Hickey, wife of Patrick Hickey Labourer. Reg 29 Aug 1877 A H Fowler Registrar

Mary Margaret 30 Jul 1883 Smithfield Dist Ade 309 181(James Casey and Amilia)

Gertrude Johanna  6 Jan 1885 Aldgate Dist Ade 343 28 (James and Aurelia)

James Leonard 30 Mar 1886 Stirling East Dist Ade 171 197 (James Daveron Casey and Emily)

DEATHS CASEY

Details From Cert
Mary Amelia 10 Feb 1879 18 months  old child of James Casey labourer or Kooringa, at Kooringa Cause of Death  Enterica Reported ? M Pearce Undertaker Kooringa Reg 13 Feb 1879 A H Forder Registrar  Dist Bur 93 2

Johanna Gertrude 6 Months of Algate died 7 Jul 1885 at Algate Rel James Daveron Casey Dist Ade 147 362

Details From Cert
Francis Patrick, 24 Feb 1919, 30 Years, Railway Porter of Burra, born Williamstown Victoria. Age at marriage 25 Years, Number on Issue 1 Son, cause of death Phthisis - Haemoplysis, Severe For Years, Died Burra Hospital Informant A Fuss Undertaker Aberdeen. Reg Feb 26 1919 P Alsila Registrar........(Does indicate TB Lynne)

MARRIAGES CASEY

Details from Cert
James Casey 26 Years  bachelor (father James) farmer of Terowie
Emily Quinn  Spinster 18 Years (Father John)
St Josephs Kooringa both signed in the presence of James Quinn Labourer and Johanna Quinn both of Kooringa
Signed Aloysius Kriefel ..........Dist Bur 107 1041

James Leonard Casey 24 Years (Father James Daveron)
Lillian May Speed Spinster 17 Years (Father Frank Charlie Speed)
St Paul's Adelaide 2 Feb 1911 Dist Ade 248 Page 247

BURIAL RECORD

F  P Casey age 30 Plot 3341 performed by CA Fuss Depth 7 feet Buried 25 Feb 1919
Date of Lease Feb 1919 Mrs Casey.......(I have checked The Grave is unmarked but I told him his Granddaughter was looking for him and sent your love)

Burial records are missing for the year Mary Amelia died

I see the school record lists his last school as Manoora about 40 kms away

QUINN

There is no birth in SA for Emily. As the obit for John Quinn states he arrived in SA in 1856 I suspect the children came with. You will need someone to check Immigration for that  I can’t do that from here. Worth placing a request on the Emigrants to Australia Board http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,165.0.html and hopefully someone in Adelaide can check for you. Handy the Obit lists year of Arrival....  Also I note James and Johanna Quinn witnessed the marriage of James and Emily. There is no marriage of a James and Johanna  in SA. (perhaps they are not married but siblings of Emily) I also note there are no Quinn Children in the school records at this time. Neither are there any death records for these people so perhaps they all left the state

DEATHS QUINN

Details from Cert
John Quin, 4 Feb 1894, 75 years, Labourer ,of Kooringa, next of kin not listed, cause of death senile decay Reported by H Bruse Undertaker Burra Reg 12 Feb 1894 AH Forder Registrar

Details from Cert
Mary Quinn, 28 Mar 1905, 77 years, Widow of Late John Quinn, Gardener of Kooringa, Usual Residence Kooringa, cause of death Morbus Cordis, death occurred Chappel Street Kooringa reported CJ Pearce Undertaker Kooringa reg 6 April 1905 RL Giles Registrar

I was sure I wrote down the burial plot for these 2 but I cant find it in my notes so will need to go again so I can see if there is any monument.....As you can see SA certs (early ones) are terrible....very little information provided and expensive to buy unlike your NSW ones

Enjoy.......Kris  :D

Offline caseykid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 February 06 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Wow Kris!!!!!!!!!!!

A huge THANK YOU for finding all this.

And you found my Grandfather's grave.......I'm thrilled., and for your message to him too. :'(

I can't wait to e-mail all this to my cousin Clare, in Melbourne. She will be excited too.

I will place a request on the Emigrants to Australia forum as well.....for the Casey's too. Thankyou for that tip.

I guess you must be in Burra?

One day I plan on visiting. My husband's Aunt has been there and said it was a fascinating place.

Many, many thanks again.

Regards,Lynne