Author Topic: Alternate definition of "widower" 1720 Middlesex County  (Read 355 times)

Offline SantaT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alternate definition of "widower" 1720 Middlesex County
« on: Tuesday 02 April 19 01:49 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage allegation dated June 11, 1720, in which Lawrence Huggins alleges that he plans to marry Mary Peirce, the "natural and lawful daughter of George Peirce, widower, of HMS Dartmouth now in the Baltick Sea...."     The word  "widower" is inserted with a caret sign in this sentence.  They plan to marry at St. Dunstan's Stepney.

In the following paragragh, a Richard Brown alleges that George Peirce is known to him personally, is presently on HMS Dartmouth in the Baltick Sea, and is a widower. 

Now this is odd, because at this very moment, George has a wife, also named Mary, who is pregnant with their last child, Harvey Peirce, baptized at St. Dunstan's Nov. 15th, 1720.  I have a marriage entry for George and Mary Harvey of 1720 at Holy Minories.  Mary Harvey Peirce lives on until 1764, and refers to the daughter of the marriage of the Mary who married Lawrence Huggins as her granddaughter (in here will). 

I know that the George Peirce who is the lawful and natural father, widower, was the boatswain on HMS Edinburgh when he died in 1730, and came to that ship from the Dartmouth.  So I think I have the right cast of characters.

But what, in this context, could be the  meaning of referring to him as a widower?  I know relationship terms don't necessarily mean the same today as they did 300 years ago, but I'm having some trouble understanding what widower means in this context.   Could this refer to an informal divorce?  Could it mean that Mary is his daughter by a first marriage, and her mother is actually deceased, so George is a widower with respect to that marriage?  The marriage allegation says that Mary is upward of Twenty (illegible) years.  So it is somewhat unclear that she is actually the issue of the union of George Peirce and Mary Harvey Peirce (1700).  Or, is this a marriage to which Mary Peirce's mother, wife of George, would not consent and did not know about? 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate definition of "widower" 1720 Middlesex County
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 02:03 BST (UK) »
1720 ... so several decades before the Marriage Act of 1753 ... 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline SantaT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 02:10 BST (UK) »
Yes.  And to complicate matters, Mary Harvey Peirce was  non-Conformist, and in fact probably Baptist.  These marriages were often contracted somewhat informally. I don't know exactly why Mary Harvey and George Peirce married in 1700, but I note that it was at Holy Minories and not a regular parish church. 

George and Mary's son Harvey Peirce was baptized at St. Dunstan's.    The Harvey family to which Mary belonged had a fair amount of money, and I think Harvey was expected to be an heir, and my understanding (perhaps incorrect) is that an heir at law had to have been baptized.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 02:14 BST (UK) »
Well, I am sure that whether he was a widow/er or not, that his status would not prohibit his daughter from marrying. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 05:40 BST (UK) »
Just a thought...

"natural and lawful daughter of George Peirce widower"

Could the above mean although Mary was born illegitimately the parents subsequently married but the mother died i.e. the meaning of 'widower' in this could be he was the widower of Mary's mother  even 'though he later remarried :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"