Author Topic: Ogilvie of Liff and Benvie Parish.  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Scottish_Rachel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ogilvie of Liff and Benvie Parish.
« on: Tuesday 02 April 19 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have hit a bit of brick wall with my family tree. I am tracing my maternal grandfather's side of the family. I am looking for any information at all on David Ogilvie of Liff and Benvie Parish.

Here is the info I have so far -

William Ogilvie (1770-1859) son of David Ogilvie (?-1788) and Jean Chalmers (1746-1826). I can't find a marriage certificate for David and Jean. Although she is listed as his widow on his Will.

I cannot find a birth certificate for David Ogilvie.  I have his death and burial records. He died 17/07/1788. I also have his will dated 1789 which lists him as Residenter at Backmuir of Liff.

I have also checked the Kirk records. There are only 3 pages from when he was alive and through a stroke of luck he was actually on a record from June 18th 1786, where an Elizabeth McIntosh (his mother's servant) was accusing him of being the father of her unborn child. There was no mention of what his mothers name was though.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Rachel
Ogilvie, Boag, Bogue, Coutts, Chalmers, Douglas, Dowglass, Low, McLaren, Nicoll, Ness, McKaig, Mara

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ogilvie of Liff and Benvie Parish.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 18:10 BST (UK) »
I note that only David is noted on his children’s records

Liff, Benvie and Invergowrie children of DAVID OGILVIE

JEAN 15/06/1760, DAVID 14/06/1764, WILLIAM 27/12/1770

The only marriage I can find around that time in Angus is below, might this be his first wife I wonder.
OGILVIE   DAVID   BETSY FOWLER/   25/02/1854   Liff, Benvie and Invergowrie

No record of a marriage to Jean Chalmers in Scotland, but of course the record may not have survived, however, given the events of 1787, I wonder if the record below is relevant?

OGILVY   DAVID   NAME NOT GIVEN   23/09/1787   Murroes

Colin

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 18:12 BST (UK) »
You are not going to find either a birth or a marriage certificate, because there are none to find; these events were long before the start of statutory civil registration in 1855. The best you can hope for is records from the church registers of baptisms and banns, and if you have checked Scotland's People and found nothing, the chances are that the relevant records, if they ever existed, have not survived.

Did David Ogilvie actually own any land or houses? If so, there will be mentions of him in the Registers of Sasines. See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=26232.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Scottish_Rachel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 19:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your replies.

Its not that I can't find a birth certificate. Its that there are just far too many David Ogilvies in the possible time period and area to pinpoint which one is mine. There are 35 possible search results. Its so frustrating. I don't think he had any property, as I think this would have been mentioned in his Will?

@Colin - Do you reckon the other motherless birth records are my David Ogilvie too?
Ogilvie, Boag, Bogue, Coutts, Chalmers, Douglas, Dowglass, Low, McLaren, Nicoll, Ness, McKaig, Mara

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 19:48 BST (UK) »
Do you reckon the other motherless birth records are my David Ogilvie too?

Many baptisms were recorded with only the father's name sadly.

It's as if the mother had no part in the birth  ::)

Moreover, there's never any doubt about who gave birth but there could be doubt about the paternity i.e. it's demeaning not to mention the mother & her maiden name but that's how it was with some clerics/vicars.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 20:47 BST (UK) »
Its not that I can't find a birth certificate.
There are no birth certificates before 1855. They did not exist.

There are 35 possible search results. Its so frustrating.
I think we can probably all related to that!

I don't think he had any property, as I think this would have been mentioned in his Will?
Not necessarily, as any property would have gone automatically to his eldest son, so might not be mentioned in the will.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Scottish_Rachel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 16:06 BST (UK) »
Yeah, sorry I mean baptism records rather than birth certificates.

I think I have definitely reached the end of the line with the Ogilvies unfortunately :(