Author Topic: Different religions for siblings  (Read 3946 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Different religions for siblings
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 06 April 19 10:06 BST (UK) »
I like the birth for a Kechie/McCoy child :-) - thanks for finding it. I think confirms the other couple as Lane/Keating.

I've just found a reference to an Edward Lane at Knocknagranshy in 1943 - about a well on his land. It refers to my 4g grandfather James Keating in 1791!

England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 06 April 19 10:48 BST (UK) »
That’s a good find  :)
It’s good to have more information. Here is some:

https://treecouncil.ie/treeregisterofireland/502.htm

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4922032/4920246/4949254

https://www.duchas.ie/ is really interesting - schools collections from 1930s.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 06 April 19 16:07 BST (UK) »

This morning I'm wide awake :-) And thanks to your suggestion, Maiden Stone, I think I've found the marriage of James Lane and Anne Keating - in Westminster London!

James Lane Sept Qtr 1866 Westminster 1A 769 Anne Keating

It's not conclusive as there's another possible bride mentioned (Ann McCoy) but the year fits. I can just imagine them taking off to London to marry because of opposition from both sets of parents. What do you think?

They may have gone there for work which was normal for young, single Irish people. Unmarried Irish women were domestic servants in England. Irish men worked on farms or in construction. Ireland had few industries so many young people chose inward migration to Britain to seek paid employment. It had the added benefit of potentially widening the marriage pool - meeting members of the opposite sex who weren't from your parish and your 3rd cousin, and making a personal choice of spouse . Marriage prospects in Ireland were limited in post-Famine decades in rural areas compared to pre-Famine.
You might find them on 1861 English census.
Have you got birth registrations for all children of the marriage? If not, check GRO for missing ones, in case James & Anne went back to England for a while. You can add mother's maiden name on search form for birth index. Some babies were never registered.  A child in one of my Irish families who was born late 1860s seems to be missing from birth registrations; I found her baptism easily.

A pair of my Irish ancestors allegedly eloped because one of them was destined for an arranged marriage. This was also in 1860s.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 06 April 19 16:30 BST (UK) »
That’s a good find  :)
It’s good to have more information. Here is some:

https://treecouncil.ie/treeregisterofireland/502.htm

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4922032/4920246/4949254

https://www.duchas.ie/ is really interesting - schools collections from 1930s.
If I were Jang I would want to hug that ash tree. I hope it lives for hundreds more years.
I've bookmarked those sites to explore.
Cowban

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 07 April 19 06:59 BST (UK) »
heywood, what great sites, especially the schools one. It's not the easiest to use but there's some great info there. I'm constantly amazed what's available on the internet nowadays.
England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 07 April 19 07:18 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone, thanks for the suggestion about checking the English BDMs and 1861 census - a nil result but definitely worth doing. Their first child, Richard, was born on 25 April 1867 back in Limerick, so they didn't stay in London long after their marriage.

PS I wish I could hug that Ash tree - I didn't know about it in 2004 when we visited Limerick :-(
England:

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 07 April 19 15:35 BST (UK) »
heywood, what great sites, especially the schools one. It's not the easiest to use but there's some great info there. I'm constantly amazed what's available on the internet nowadays.
I've been dipping into it. Some reminiscence topics are the kind of thing my dad and uncles talked about. I saw an invitation to volunteer subscribers so I might have a go. Handwriting in the school exercise books is much easier to read than church registers.
Cowban

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 07 April 19 15:43 BST (UK) »
They are lovely, aren’t they MS.
The handwriting is often very beautiful and I love the phraseology.
It is especially good to read about places and names which are part of our history.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 07 April 19 16:50 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone, thanks for the suggestion about checking the English BDMs and 1861 census - a nil result but definitely worth doing. Their first child, Richard, was born on 25 April 1867 back in Limerick, so they didn't stay in London long after their marriage.
Some of my Irish families went back & forth across the sea, depending on work, family situation and other factors. As a consequence, children were born in Ireland and England, alternate births in one family. One couple even crossed the Atlantic twice, had 2 sons in U.S, then settled permanently in Lancashire in late 1860s.  Some children missing from censuses were with grandparents in Ireland. 
Cowban