Author Topic: Nantwich Deaths pre 1841  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Donches

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nantwich Deaths pre 1841
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 April 19 15:05 BST (UK) »
A marvellous response to my post - more than I expected.
John's baptism is recorded as John Judgson, half of the Judsons in Nantwich were recorded with this spelling for some reason, I did have the information for daughter Mary Ann.
I'm pretty sure that bbart has solved the major part of the mystery by seeing the possible connection of Hannah Farmer to Hannah Judson, something that I had not spotted before. I'm sure that the marriage in Manchester is them. I've come across several marriages of Nantwich couples in Manchester before. I think it might have been because the Nantwich shoemakers used to travel there to sell their footwear, although some might have been to avoid attention. I now remember that I had a prayer book with a Farmer inscription.
I also think that the burial of Hannah Farmer is that of my great great grandmother, even though the age doesn't tally with her baptism. Ages given at burials were notoriously inaccurate, although it is possible she had a late baptism.

The re-marriage of Hannah in 1835 does make John's death to be before registration, and the most likely explanation ot the absence of a record of his burial is that the entry was on a damaged page.

I'm extremely grateful for all the responses which have solved one of my family history mysteries.

Don