Author Topic: Rural Culture  (Read 2693 times)

Offline yeahyeah121212

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rural Culture
« on: Wednesday 03 April 19 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
Just wanted to ask something quick. Could a 'rural culture' be considered a thing. I sitting on the bus today, and unfortunately my ear phones had broke, so I had no music to listen to, and I heard a couple of lads in front of me talking about a 'rural culture'. Something about farming, and family generations etc. Could anyone verify this please.
Thank you.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Rural Culture
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 23:12 BST (UK) »
Why not use Google to get the answer?  Much simpler and quicker.  Just input - What is rural culture

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline yeahyeah121212

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 23:24 BST (UK) »
Why not use Google to get the answer?  Much simpler and quicker.  Just input - What is rural culture

Hello Carole,

Thanks for the response. I did that, but found nothing of what these lads were describing on google - they were talking about farming, hard/tough families and all.

Cheers :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 23:32 BST (UK) »
From some of the many explanations on Google

https://culturalcomparisonscom272.wordpress.com/urban-rural/rural-culture/

http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/148706/8/08%20the%20concept%20of%20rural%20culture.pdf

If you are interested in rural culture perhaps your local library may be able to help in recommending books on the subject

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 19 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
Just wanted to ask something quick. Could a 'rural culture' be considered a thing. I sitting on the bus today, and unfortunately my ear phones had broke, so I had no music to listen to, and I heard a couple of lads in front of me talking about a 'rural culture'. Something about farming, and family generations etc. Could anyone verify this please.
Thank you.
Of course rural culture exists, especially where people have lived, farmed or worked in the same area for generations. They can create and continue cultures, ideas, opinions, rituals which are distinct to a particular rural area.

Without knowing what the lads were saying, or where they were saying about, it's difficult to 'verify' if what they were saying was true of a particular area, but on the whole it can be verified that rural culture exists.

Edited to add: rural North East Scotland culture is different to the urban culture of Aberdeen. There's a massive difference between a teuchter and a toonser!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 April 19 12:49 BST (UK) »

Edited to add: rural North East Scotland culture is different to the urban culture of Aberdeen. There's a massive difference between a teuchter and a toonser!
My Irish people were culchies.
Cowban

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 April 19 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
Thank you.

That sounds a much more informed conversation than I often eavesdrop on when I am travelling  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 19 13:18 BST (UK) »
 ;D

I am in New South Wales,  Australia,  and I am a baby boomer,  and worse still I was born and raised in that rural culture labelled 'country bumpkin' by my cousins in the 'big smoke' captial city of Sydney.   

Even as a little child I knew the important question to ask in any conversation was 'wotcha reckon about them clouds'  .... or repeating what was said at afternoon tea by granddad .... 'back in my day them shearers ate what cook cooked.'    or  in the school yard 'you hit it on the full,  its six and out if you hit it over that fence,  theres a bull in that paddock and  you bring a new balll termorra'  or a jingle on the radio 'get your A okay Used Car at Pats A okay Used Cars' would result in our family chiming back with 'Pats A okay but his used cars are not' 

That was rural culture back in 1950s in central western New South Wales....   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 April 19 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
Thank you.

That sounds a much more informed conversation than I often eavesdrop on when I am travelling  :)
It's amazing what you can learn when you listen.
First lesson in family history or local history: converse with elderly people or people who know the area well and listen to what they say.
Modern rural culture is fragile and present-day rural poverty is an overlooked topic. I mean in 21st century Britain.
Cowban