Author Topic: Rural Culture  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rural Culture
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 April 19 19:34 BST (UK) »
   I would think "rural culture" mainly exists among the farming community. There is still quite a lot of it in evidence at sheep shows, ploughing matches etc. I live in a small village, and with a few exceptions, (such as myself!) most people are not born and bred country people. Once here, many people do stay and maybe make a different sort of rural culture.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 April 19 19:52 BST (UK) »
You're about in range of Reading, aren't ye, CS? Whole museum there, dedicated to Rural Culture.
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline yeahyeah121212

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 April 19 19:13 BST (UK) »
   I would think "rural culture" mainly exists among the farming community. There is still quite a lot of it in evidence at sheep shows, ploughing matches etc. I live in a small village, and with a few exceptions, (such as myself!) most people are not born and bred country people. Once here, many people do stay and maybe make a different sort of rural culture.
Yeah, part of my family come from this "culture", I'm born and bred a country person, much like my father and his father.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 April 19 23:32 BST (UK) »
Yeah, part of my family come from this "culture", I'm born and bred a country person, much like my father and his father.
Then perhaps you'd like to answer your own question.  :)
Cowban

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 April 19 22:10 BST (UK) »
Archivos - Edited to add: rural North East Scotland culture is different to the urban culture of Aberdeen. There's a massive difference between a teuchter and a toonser!

You can still pick the country loons oot on the toon yet - nae strae ahin the lugs nooadays, sharp brains rinnin their ain businesses bit still different fae their toon cousins.

And ye can still hear the difference atween the spik o' Meldrum, say, and Mugiemoss, if yer lugs are atuned.

(Guess fit een I  am!)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 April 19 23:14 BST (UK) »
I think that the question should be - Is there still any rural culture? 

I can remember a time when there was only one telephone in the village - now everyone has one in their pocket.  It can bring the whole world to their door. Why settle for Blue Nun or Black Tower when an online advisor and shipper can have the exactly correct wine to go with your Frappé Mystique a la Maison first thing tomorrow morning? 

All our cultures are getting homogenised and it is survival of the fittest. Every celebrity wedding becomes the latest trend. 

If we want to keep our cultures (urban and rural), then we must work at it, or they will fall by the wayside and be forgotten. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 April 19 02:01 BST (UK) »

If we want to keep our cultures (urban and rural), then we must work at it, or they will fall by the wayside and be forgotten. 

Regards 

Chas

Judging by the many CTTV scenes I've seen of gangs kicking one lone figure on the ground, it's obvious that The 1892 Marquise of Queensbury Rules aren't applied anymore.

When I was young fathers used to make sure their sons knew of "Gentleman Jim" at an early age & exactly what was expected of them, which was; be fair; fight fair and be even, in that if you can't sort out your differences by talking, it was one boy against one boy and the others stood back and didnt take part in the fisticuffs.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 April 19 11:15 BST (UK) »
Archivos - Edited to add: rural North East Scotland culture is different to the urban culture of Aberdeen. There's a massive difference between a teuchter and a toonser!

You can still pick the country loons oot on the toon yet - nae strae ahin the lugs nooadays, sharp brains rinnin their ain businesses bit still different fae their toon cousins.

And ye can still hear the difference atween the spik o' Meldrum, say, and Mugiemoss, if yer lugs are atuned.

(Guess fit een I  am!)
Hahaha! You definitely can tell the difference. And I do ken fit een you are!

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 April 19 13:05 BST (UK) »
I think there is still a rural culture.  There have been changes, thanks to internet, TV and cars people are more connected to urban culture and influences from other countries but it still exists.  The Young Farmers are still a thing around here, we still have a yearly cattle show and other yearly events that have their roots in history.  Farms have been lost to urbanisation and farm hands lost to technology but farms that remain are still passed down the family.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others