Author Topic: Rural Culture  (Read 2685 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Re: Rural Culture
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 April 19 19:09 BST (UK) »
There`s definitely a rural culture here in Carmarthenshire, to the extent I got a great whiff of pigs from a man in a supermarket asking me where the hotdog sausages were ( he was standing right in front of them ). This went on to a 5 minute conversation on the state of farming and how difficult it`s become. I`ve no idea who he was but he was certainly interesting.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 April 19 21:20 BST (UK) »
Billy, you raise a couple of interesting points about rural life.
People talk(ed) to each other, even to strangers. Interest in other people/nosiness, call it what you will.

Farming is a stressful business; always was, but with many additional worries now. Especially now, when they don't know what scenario to plan for. It can also be a lonely job.  Some farmers have no one except close family to talk to on a daily basis. At one time there would have been other farmers in a similar situation in the community whom they met regularly and whose families had known and supported each other for generations. Mental health is a subject of concern.  Prince Charles set up a rural welfare charity.
Cowban

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 12:19 BST (UK) »
I think it must be my genes ! I`ve so many ag labs, especially on my mother`s side, her mother`s family had lived in the same small village for over 200 years.

I could never have done it myself, out in all weathers ( well, I did do that ) at all times of the day and night - they have my admiration.

I call where I live now semi- rural, we`re near to town but surrounded by countryside. At our small local supermarket, there`s often a sight of someone obviously a famer. I saw one estate car with the boot filled with straw which looked like animals may have been bedding down in it !

Offline yeahyeah121212

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 13:48 BST (UK) »
I think it must be my genes ! I`ve so many ag labs, especially on my mother`s side, her mother`s family had lived in the same small village for over 200 years.

I could never have done it myself, out in all weathers ( well, I did do that ) at all times of the day and night - they have my admiration.

I call where I live now semi- rural, we`re near to town but surrounded by countryside. At our small local supermarket, there`s often a sight of someone obviously a famer. I saw one estate car with the boot filled with straw which looked like animals may have been bedding down in it !

To be honest, if there are many Ag Labs in your tree, then you probably do have the genes. You see, my father's side is the farming side. His mother's was not. But my his fathers (my grandfathers) was. And both his mother and father were. On the mother's side, there was a very wealthy farmer, and he had about 5 children, I think 3 sons and two daughters. He bought a very large farm for each of the 3 boys, and a house for the 3 children. And all through this line, most are listed as farmers and ag labs.