Author Topic: Ancestry - lack of replies  (Read 5037 times)

Offline cbcarolyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Carolyn
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - lack of replies
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 07 April 19 11:57 BST (UK) »
I reply to all my messages, either with information, or if I have nothing to add then I let them know also.  My son had a DNA test for Christmas 2017 from his GF, and has no interest.  I have just worked out how to get management of this so it can be part of my tree. 

He has had one message - he gave me the log in - I did reply, weirdly they never responded.  so guess it works both ways!

It might depend what you are asking?  Someone messaged me years back on Genes Reunited and got quite rude to me as some of my tree was private, I responded, but never bothered when he was so rude.  Have you tried a surname search on here?  you never know someone may be linked and on here.
Lugg/Freeman/Caddy- Cornwall
Dayman/Hobbs - Devon
Brett/Clark/Hicks - Middx/Essex/London
Miles - Northampton
Woodruff/Proctor/Worth - Midlands/NE/Wales

http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co.uk/

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 07 April 19 12:10 BST (UK) »
If you meet 100 people in your day and just one of them is obnoxious, which of the hundred stays in your head?

Keep saying “ninety-nine were  great, great,great,great...” until the pulse returns to normal and move on.

Some of my biggest breakthroughs are the result of the kindness of strangers who have become acquaintances

Remember... Ninety-nine percent!
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 07 April 19 12:23 BST (UK) »
I think we just have to accept that some people really aren't interested in the accuracy of their trees as long as they have names on them. The fact they deny births and deaths when faced with the proof in the form of certificates or even in the case described by Kiltpin says an awful lot about them. Rather than just admit that they have made a mistake, they make themselves look silly- why would anyone want to forge a death certificate for a tree?

If people choose not to respond to requests that is up to them. As long as I'm as sure as I can be that my tree is accurate, why should I worry? The chances are if they can't be bothered to respond they won't be of much help anyway. Those who are really interested in genealogy will help others as is shown on here.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 07 April 19 12:41 BST (UK) »
I think we just have to accept that some people really aren't interested in the accuracy of their trees as long as they have names on them. The fact they deny births and deaths when faced with the proof in the form of certificates or even in the case described by Kiltpin says an awful lot about them. Rather than just admit that they have made a mistake, they make themselves look silly- why would anyone want to forge a death certificate for a tree?

If people choose not to respond to requests that is up to them. As long as I'm as sure as I can be that my tree is accurate, why should I worry? The chances are if they can't be bothered to respond they won't be of much help anyway. Those who are really interested in genealogy will help others as is shown on here.

The guy who told me I was deluded had contacted me.  My Dad had a very common first name and last name but his 2 middle names are, although not completely obscure an unusual combination and my grandfather has an unusual middle name.  My Dad died in 1999, this guy contacted me to say he had in fact my Dad had immigrated to New York in 1998 an had fathered twins in 2005.  I replied thanking him for his message "but I think there may have been some confusion between 2 people <first name><last name>.  I happened to be planning a visit to SP centre that week so offered to have look for him to find the correct <first name><last name>.  He replied saying he was confident in his research, I should go for some lessons etc.  My final reply, before I gave up was : Again thank you for your message.  I can however be 100% confident that my father is dead.  I was present when he died, attended his funeral and have the bill for the funeral.  I also have my original birth certificate stating his full name, his original birth certificate, marriage certificate and death certificate.  In addition I have his original forces discharge papers stating all info. The reference for his death certificate is...…...should you wish to order it yourself"

In interests of due diligence, when I did go to the SP centre did some searches.  In the Scottish BDMs there are only 2 people with my Dad's exact name, the other being my grt grandfather who died in 1939.  I also checked the English indexes and couldn't find anyone of the exact name at all.  Same for my Grandfather's full name; only 2 people with exact name including middle name.  This time it was my grt grt grandfather who died in 1882.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 07 April 19 14:20 BST (UK) »
I don't usually use the word 'gobsmacked', but I am gobsmacked. Those replies are shocking.

I was amazed to find one tree listing my great grandmother as d1948, when she lived with my parents in my youth, 15 years later. I didn't even get a reply when I politely pointed this, and I was surprised I didn't even get a reply.

Martin

Offline MiniCooperS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 07 April 19 14:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for the replies. I’m going to just see what happens. Nova67 I hope you had a lovely lunch. I have found second cousins through GenesReunited and have met with them in the last couple of years. Made me so happy.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 07 April 19 14:49 BST (UK) »
She replied - "DON'T BE SO NAIVE AND STUPID. DON'T YOU KNOW THAT DEATH CERTIFICATES CAN BE ALTERED AND FORGED?" 
It's hard for sane people like us on here  8) to believe that there are others so different that we can only categorise them as aggressive ignorant morons.  At one time when I was a research chemist I had a colleague (recently from Oxbridge) whose approach seemed to be to write a paper on some topic, and then do experiments to prove the results he wanted.  The stubborn tree-builders we despise have a similar turn of mind.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 07 April 19 15:03 BST (UK) »
She replied - "DON'T BE SO NAIVE AND STUPID. DON'T YOU KNOW THAT DEATH CERTIFICATES CAN BE ALTERED AND FORGED?" 
It's hard for sane people like us on here  8) to believe that there are others so different that we can only categorise them as aggressive ignorant morons.  At one time when I was a research chemist I had a colleague (recently from Oxbridge) whose approach seemed to be to write a paper on some topic, and then do experiments to prove the results he wanted.  The stubborn tree-builders we despise have a similar turn of mind.

In the most part I try and disprove my theories.  I ask myself what evidence do I have FOR my theory? what are the possible alternatives, what evidence is there for the alternatives.  I know this is more history than science but it's the way I was taught. But then what do I know, I only went to plate glass universities?  My first instinct if someone tells me I'm wrong or has a different answer is to think "oh no! what have I done" and I double check.  Some parts of my tree I've lost count of the number of times I've double checked them.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 07 April 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
I just can't understand why anyone would not want to have an error pointed out.

Martin