Author Topic: Ancestry - lack of replies  (Read 5039 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - lack of replies
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 21:15 BST (UK) »
I seem to remember that from the 2 ways of sending messages you are more likely to receive and get replys when using the persons hint matches than their profile ...if their tree is ma aged by someone else you have to .essave the manager of it and specify person daye a d name of tree you are referring to .
For example i manage my sisters tree but dont get .access to messages.  I have months when i forget to check with her if a y have come thru .

One man who manages lots of trees kindly explai ed that he had no idea who i was asking about unless i told him the tree name because he had so many .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 22:35 BST (UK) »
hesitate to trivialise the hobbies of those who collect stamps, or train numbers. or (bird) twitchers but amongst the latter there is much opprobrium directed against those who claim to have seen a rare bird on flimsy evidence

I went on a trip down into the southern ocean to the NZ sub Antarctic Islands and MacQuarie island which is Australian. On board were quite a few Bird watchers including some Australians. THere were many many birds to see.  For a great deal of the trip we were in NZ waters.  Then it was announced we were in Australian waters and suddenly there was a great flurry of activity,  turns out that you can’t “tick off” a bird if you haven’t seen it in Australia, so although we had been seeing say, Sooty Albatrosses for days, they didn’t count! 

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 27 April 19 08:55 BST (UK) »
I've just found another reason for the lack of replies to messages on Ancestry - the people I contacted weren't related to the family I had hints to. Turns out they were employed by an heir hunting firm! The long number after the surname for their tree should have alerted me :-)
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 27 April 19 13:45 BST (UK) »
I've just had a lovely reply from a message, I haven't got an online tree so I sent some correct information and the lady was so pleased. (I shall send her some more later, visitors due to arrive soon!)
rayard.