Author Topic: Charles George Batham and Alice Annie Tate  (Read 753 times)

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Charles George Batham and Alice Annie Tate
« on: Saturday 06 April 19 01:17 BST (UK) »
     I like a bit of mystery and speculation. My father's 2nd cousin (presumed) appears in 1891 English census, aged 9, Hackney, London, b. South Africa. Presumed I say because I think the first 'Bathams' in S.Africa were Christopher William Batham 1838-1882, his wife Elizabeth 1840-1883 and sons William Batham 1868-1946 and Frederick Batham 1869-1951.
So, in 1883 young Charles G. was an orphan. His brothers too busy to care for him shipped him back to England where his grandfather Christopher W. Batham 1816-1904 lived in Stonebridge N.W. London. Somehow young Charles G. was put into Leopold House, Hackney, East London, a Dr Barnado's home. 1896 Charles G. left for S. Africa, joined the army and fought in the Boer Wars. Then on 18 May 1908 he married Alice Annie Tate.
         Alice Annie Tate 1881-1961 ?  Again presumed to be the same one, born in Hackney E. London. Did she and Charles G. meet ?, at school perhaps ? Now, one more oddity 1891 census show Alice Annie living in Willesden N.W. London, not far from Charles G's grandfather. Did they meet (again) there ? I can find no record of her going to S. Africa. She visited England in 1950 for some reason

Another point of interest.  There seems to be no record of  C. W. Batham 1838-1882 and family leaving England. He was a military man, fought in the Crimea and Indian Mutiny and was discharged. Did he enlist for the Zulu War of 1879 ? He died there aged 44.

https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=roy1939&view=0&pid=11007&randi=648807126

Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles George Batham and Alice Annie Tate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 April 19 14:49 BST (UK) »
I see that Alice was born on 8/6/1881 and died on 6/6/1961. If you look at eggsa.org under gravestones there is a photograph of their tombstone.

They married in 1903 not 1908, and the witnesses were Susan and Frederick Batham. Charles worked for the South African Railways and Harbours and retired from them in 1932.

Do you have a copy of Charles' death notice and their marriage certificate?
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 01:09 BST (UK) »
I see that Alice was born on 8/6/1881 and died on 6/6/1961. If you look at eggsa.org under gravestones there is a photograph of their tombstone.

They married in 1903 not 1908, and the witnesses were Susan and Frederick Batham. Charles worked for the South African Railways and Harbours and retired from them in 1932.

Do you have a copy of Charles' death notice and their marriage certificate?
Thanks Nookie.  I had contact with relatives in SA who provided a copy of their marriage certificate. I misread the date. That certificate witnessed by Frederick is the only evidence I have that they were brothers.  I also have a photo of their headstone.
So 1903, they married during or just after the 2nd Boer War.  I doubt if I'll ever find when she arrived in SA of if she is the same Alice Annie Tate born in Hackney, London.
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Aussie Roy, I see there are estate papers in Cape Town for Alice Annie Batham nee Tate
Depot: KAB
Source: MOG
Type: Leer
Volume: 1/1/666
Description: Batham, Alice Annie nee Tate estate papers
Start 1961
Ens 1961

I didn't notice them on FS, so not digitised yet.  You will have to contact the archives in Cape Town to get a copy - well worth the effort, one of the best sources of info in SA.

Good luck

Catherine
Ridley (Northumberland)
Turnbull (Northumberland))
Hatley (London)
McFadden (Donegal and Tasmania)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 10:56 BST (UK) »
Can't find Alice's online but here is Charles Georges

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91H-D41X?i=463&cc=2517051&cat=331262

Quite a bit of info on it.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS9T-G65T?i=525&cc=2520237&cat=188051
For George Charles Batham a relative perhaps

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)