Author Topic: Confusion over place of birth.  (Read 2409 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion over place of birth.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 April 19 12:39 BST (UK) »
There is a McClounan family on the 1851 Census at Maybole who could be worth looking at further as potential family for Agnes.
Address - Culroy Village
William McClounan      Head     79   Hand Loom Weaver Woolen    born Straiton
Jane MCClounan      Wife         80                                              born Colmonell
John McClounan       Son  W     41   Hand Loom Weaver Woolen   born Maybole
Marion McClounan    Dau  U     39                                              born Maybole
Elizabeth McClounan  Grandau   3                                               born Maybole

This couple above are , I believe William McClownan and Jane McHarg who marry in Straiton in 1794 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT22-GJX
They have 3 births/baptisms recorded in Straiton parish during 1790s - Julie, David and William. I can't find any more births/baptisms but it certainly looks like they continued having children over next decades in Maybole (can't find records) . More digging required .

Looby :)

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion over place of birth.
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Where have you found Agnes on the 1861 Census please?
1841 -She's in Craigie age recorded as 30  with husband Robert and 4 children.
1851- She's in Riccarton age recorded as 47 with 5 children ( husband Robert is probably the 49 year old farm servant recorded at a farm in Craigie).

There is a death registration at Riccarton in 1865 of an Agnes Gray - but the index has no age or mother's maiden name recorded.  Not to say the original doesn't have relevant information recorded i.e marital status, spouse's name, maiden name,  informant's name.
Not sure if this is your Agnes - I was struggling to locate her on 1861 Census.

Looby :)

Thank you! You've had more luck than I did! As for 1841 and 1851 Censuses, the info you had is correct. The 1861 info that Chempat found is also correct. This is complicated because at the exact same time, there was another Gray Family in Ayrshire who had children with similar names and the parents in that family were also called Agnes and Robert! Additionally, Agnes's maiden name is rather unusual despite that I have two ancestors from separate branches sharing the similar surname. But I do appreciate all that you did to find these information including the 1851 Census for the McClounan family.
Stewarts from Moffat and Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Twaddles and Wrights from County Longford, Ireland.
Weirs from Ayrshire, Scotland.