Author Topic: Norfolk and Suffolk Norwich wills online at familysearch - guides?  (Read 7664 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Norfolk and Suffolk Norwich wills online at familysearch - guides?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 April 19 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think the different courts are best explained via the link you gave to Norfolk, "Church Courts - probate records before 11 January 1858". Certainly better than I could!

As you have said, the ANF register copy wills are locked up as far as home viewing is concerned. I don't know why that is as we can see the Norwich ones.
But at least it appears that we can see the ANF copy wills for 1800-57 on Norfolk Sources
i.e., from NROCAT
Fidgett, Jane, of Fakenham, 1808
ANF will register 1808-1810 (1808) fo. 12 no. 6

Chose that one at random,  but anyway it is online. Can't get the Rootschat Shrink Link to work for this!
http://tinyurl.com/y5db2n6l
It doesn't make much sense why just one lot of the Norwich wills are blocked and all the others are now available. Thanks for the Norfolk Sources link, I wasn't aware of that site - would I be right in thinking it is indexed by persons mentioned in the will as well as the testator?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 April 19 08:18 BST (UK) »
After posting yesterday I was browsing images for a Sussex parish I am interested in, this morning they are locked.   >:(   :'(   

On the plus side I did find a document confirming the father of someone on my direct line so that was a bonus.  ;D  It just shows how you have to keep looking at the parishes you are interested in as the records do 'come & go'
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 April 19 14:20 BST (UK) »
I have used the Norwich and Norfolk wills online lots of times and it has been very beneficial for my Norfolk ancestors as some of my London and Suffolk ancestors descended from Norfolk folk. Lots of Suffolk people had their wills registered at Norwich courts. I hate the dreaded "key" above the camera symbol for records that could be a goldmine of info, but not seen such "key" with the Norfolk online images.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 May 19 12:33 BST (UK) »
I have used the Norwich and Norfolk wills online lots of times and it has been very beneficial for my Norfolk ancestors as some of my London and Suffolk ancestors descended from Norfolk folk. Lots of Suffolk people had their wills registered at Norwich courts. I hate the dreaded "key" above the camera symbol for records that could be a goldmine of info, but not seen such "key" with the Norfolk online images.
Hi coombs, most of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk wills are locked from 1542 on

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/291384?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 February 24 04:48 GMT (UK) »
This may well be a new offering, but it is possible to see thousands of Norfolk Consistory Wills pre 1857 using Family Search site. They are not indexed, but are in
'year' order. Provided you know when, any will is relatively easy to find.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/410095?availability=Family%20History%20Library.

If that link does not work, go to Family Search, choose search, choose catalog.

I put 'place' as Norfolk, England, and 'title' Wills. You get a few options.  The one you want is

Norwich consistory wills, 1703-1857

I have yet to explore the other options, but I doubt it will be a waste of time when I do.  The FamilySearch catalog is a simply wonderful - free - resource.