Author Topic: by the water pump Hamstreet Post Office  (Read 500 times)

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
by the water pump Hamstreet Post Office
« on: Tuesday 09 April 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hello again Rootschatters.
Here is a section from another old photograph which I am trying to date. Sometime about the beginning of the 20th century, but I hope that perhaps one of you can pin it down a bit tighter than that. Many thanks,
from Scobie

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: by the water pump Hamstreet Post Office
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 19:19 BST (UK) »
Early 1900s but not enough information to be any more precise, unless you can post the whole photo including the back. It looks like the image has been worked on or filtered.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 20:09 BST (UK) »
Joseph CAFFYN was a shop keeper in Hamstreet in 1901 & 1911.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 April 19 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hello again Rootschatters.
Thank you, Treetotal and bearkat, for your replies. I was hoping that perhaps the varied apparel of the people shown might aid with a date. The full photograph has nothing else that would appear to help with dating, although I am informed that it is postmarked 1908 (therefore taken slightly earlier than that). Joseph Caffyn was postmaster there from about 1895 to at least 1922, perhaps longer. I will therefore mark it down as about 1904. Again, many thanks,
from Scobie